Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
alignment reference
Posted by: rficalora
Date: September 23, 2008 10:46PM

I'm doing an rough alignment using the string method -- for those not familiar, you stretch a string along side the car between, say, a pair of jack stands; get the string parallel to the car & then measure the distance from the wheel lip to the string at the leading & rear edges of the wheel... adjust the control arms until the measurements are even (come to think of it, not sure how you do it with the MG control arms, but that's how it's done with adjustable control arms like I have on the FastCars IFS & the IRS Todd made me....

So, the question is what is a good reference to use to get the string parallel to the car... I started out using the frame rails, but they don't seem to be particularly straight compared to the body edges. I'm thinking either the flange that runs below the fenders/rockers or maybe the lip on the rockers where the bottom of the door lines up would be good reference points... but maybe the frame rails are straight & the body tapers?

Anyone know if there's a measured diagram on the net somewhere that would show the center line of the car & various points like the ones above or others that could be used to figure out what'd be best to use?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.