Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

302GT
Larry Shimp

(240 posts)

11/17/2007 01:13PM

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GT Ford 302 crate engine

authors avatar
GT rear tie bar
Posted by: 302GT
Date: March 11, 2009 06:02AM

The GT body is as strong or stronger than the roadster body in all aspects except for the area between the rear wheel wells. The roadster has the trunk wall there, and the body passes closely above. But there is just empty space in the GT. This area can be reinforced by making a simple tie bar that goes between the seat belt mounting points at the tops of the wheel wells. The easiest approach is to use a 1 1/4 in, 1/8 inch thick steel angle piece that is available at any home supply store.

I tried this on my car and it seems to make a difference (but I may be biased). I suspect it might be most useful on GTs with a panhard rod or a coil spring conversion. But it is such a simple thing to do, there is really no reason not to try it on any GT.

t.lay
Tom Lay
Grayslake, IL
(93 posts)

05/13/2008 09:53PM

Main British Car:
72 mg b gt

Re: GT rear tie bar
Posted by: t.lay
Date: March 13, 2009 12:06AM

Makes sense - like a strut tower brace. Think a bar across the "frame" rails or higher - like you find on typical 4-link set ups would serve the same purpose - or not located high enough to prevent or limit any motion?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 13, 2009 12:31AM

Larry, you've got to post a picture!

Reinforcing this area makes perfect sense to me too... although a piece of tubing might be even better than angle (by virtue of spreading out the weld area and being more resistant to flexing/buckling). This, on the other hand, is probably overkill: [www.britishv8.org]

302GT
Larry Shimp

(240 posts)

11/17/2007 01:13PM

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GT Ford 302 crate engine

authors avatar
Posted by: 302GT
Date: March 13, 2009 06:10AM

A photo is attached. I used square tubing, but that took some fabrication. The angle iron approach is a simple, quick way to see if the concept works. Probably, it is more important to get a precision fit of the bolt holes than anything else. I drilled the holes slightly undersize, then filed them to fit the exact bolt diameter and spacing.
P7110005.JPG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.