Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

jim0899
James Willenbrink
Florence, KY
(60 posts)

10/05/2010 04:46PM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Chevrolet 327

authors avatar
Replacing steering rack boots on MGB
Posted by: jim0899
Date: November 10, 2010 07:43PM

One of my Winter projects is to replace the steering rack boots on my 1978 MGB. I found the following on the Moss Motors site, in the tech tip library, and I was wondering if anyone had used this technique to replace the boots. If it works, it looks like it could be a huge time saver, especially if you don't intend to replace the tie rod ends.
(Quote)---

MGB GT Rack Seal Tip

I recently changed the steering rack boots on my MGB GT. I read the tech in the Moss Motors' Parts Catalogue and followed the steps with one exception. I did not remove the tie rod ends. Instead I rotated (unscrewed and counted turns) the tie rod from the tie rod end, where there was ample room, as the wheel could be pivoted about the king pin exposing the boots. Assembly was just the reverse. This procedure saved tie rod end removal and potential damage to the tie rod ends. It probably saved me at least one hour and I did not need any special tools, especially a big hammer.

(We have found that accurate reassembly is made easier by first cleaning the exposed tie rod threads, and then spray-painting them. This leaves a definite reassembly reference, and is more accurate and reliable than counting and remembering turns.-Ed.)

George E. Blumb
Noblesville, IN

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Replacing steering rack boots on MGB
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 11, 2010 08:56AM

I've done it that way and it works well. In addition to the spray paint idea, you can use a sharpie marker to put an index mark which will allow you to go back to exactly the same alignment.

JB

jim0899
James Willenbrink
Florence, KY
(60 posts)

10/05/2010 04:46PM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Chevrolet 327

authors avatar
Re: Replacing steering rack boots on MGB
Posted by: jim0899
Date: November 11, 2010 08:19PM

Thanks Jim,

I like the idea of using a sharpie in addition to the paint, that should keep your alignment exactly the same.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.