Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

socorob
Robbie
La
(173 posts)

09/17/2009 04:42PM

Main British Car:
1963 Sunbeam Alpine Series 2 Ford 2.8 V6

4 link setup for a Sunbeam
Posted by: socorob
Date: April 10, 2011 08:47PM

Ive spent a couple of the last weekends under the car getting roundabout measurements of the frame and axle area in the rear. Ive done tons of reading about link type setups but have never actually made one, and ive never seen a kit for a Sunbeam. I used a calculator and put in numbers I think may fit or be close to fitting (which I wont know for sure until I lift the car again and measure some more). Does anyone on here know if these numbers look ok? Im looking for better handling, and maybe a little better ride. Im not into drag racing, prefer good cornering. If anyone could chime in on this would positives,negatives, suggestions, etc... I have a ford 8 inch rear end, and the driveshaft is offset. Thanks!
triangulated 4 link.JPG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2011 09:22PM by socorob.

flitner
John Fenner
Miami Fl
(168 posts)

03/11/2010 10:58AM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB 350 CHEVY

Re: 4 link setup for a Sunbeam
Posted by: flitner
Date: April 10, 2011 11:28PM

That is the same setup I put in my B, I have yet to try it out but I will let you know in a month or so!
The only thing I may have screwed up on was the pinion angle, I set it at 4* down thinking of a leaf setup but Ive been told It'll be ok.
Cant wait to hear the driveline vibration, and make the adjustable links to compensate!

socorob
Robbie
La
(173 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 11, 2011 08:26AM

I was thinking about using Johnny joints to keep down noise if I ever get the right setup figured out. You B owners are lucky as there are a few kits available and it's been done before.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: April 11, 2011 12:16PM

I would try to keep the lower links as straight in line with the cars axis as possible. Keeping the force in line with the links makes for better strength, any angle to the inboard as you have shown in your drawing would only place side loading on the heim joints or other forms of adjustment where the links are at their weakest. As for pinion angle, I'd set it at the same angle as the trans output unless you're running some pretty soft bushings. It's not going to change much with a 4 link.

socorob
Robbie
La
(173 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 14, 2011 10:19AM

Thanks. When I put the lower links straight, I get 5 degrees of roll oversteer. Is that a lot? I've always heard you want 0 or a little roll understate for a good handling setup.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.