Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(191 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

steering shaft and support bearings
Posted by: IaTR6
Date: August 26, 2015 02:35PM

I am building my steering shaft assembly, and am using a double u-joint for the center joint due to the angle. This requires a support bearing on each side, and I selected PTFE lubed bearings with a 3/4" diameter bore. The issue is that the DD shaft will turn within the bearing, and I wonder if I would be wise to use center punch marks on the shaft to create a tight fit that would require the support bearing ball to rotate in the PTFE insert?
Thanks,
Dennis

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Re: steering shaft and support bearings
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: August 26, 2015 02:59PM

It's not supposed to be a problem but it bothers me as well when that happens.
Rather than modify the shaft I use some scrap nylon (from one of the Lovely Lynne's old cutting boards actually)
Cut a strip and grind it into a half moon shape to use as a wedge into the gap on either side of the shaft.
Once hammered home cut it off flush with the bearing and touch it up with a fine file.
Looks professional and works good.

Live like you mean it.
Fred

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(191 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

Re: steering shaft and support bearings
Posted by: IaTR6
Date: August 27, 2015 10:45AM

Aha! Great idea Fred, thanks very much. It just so happens that I have some pieces of left-over cutting board. I bought one at a commercial kitchen supply house and cut it into spacers for the body-to-chassis. (one of these days, when I am ready to spend a lot of time at the computer I will start a "how it was done, and you'll see). This is another challenge that debunks the one hour restorations on TV!
Dennis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.