Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

75midget
Jeff Stroud

(1 posts)

12/27/2019 04:15PM

Main British Car:

Suspension upgrade
Posted by: 75midget
Date: December 27, 2019 04:27PM

I am wandering if mazda miata suspension will bolt in place under an mg miget? If not are there any other small car suspensions that will? OR will I need to fabricate something? I would like to use ball joints instead of king pins and the regular coil over shock suspension. All help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Suspension upgrade
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 28, 2019 12:42AM

No, the mounting points of an MG Midget / A-H Sprite front suspension are unique. You won't find any other small car with a front suspension that bolts onto those...

Before you start fabricating, you might enjoy studying the eight Spridgets featured on BritishRacecar.com. I'd start with this article about one of the fastest Spridgets in SCCA history: Chuck Pitt's 1968 Spridget (Sprite/Midget) Racecar. Then, you might like to contrast its front suspension with Rick Haynes' 1965 MG Midget Vintage Racecar In the photos (and captions), you'll see that Chuck's car retains lever shocks whereas Rick's features coilovers... but both retain kingpins.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Suspension upgrade
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: December 28, 2019 11:25AM

This is an MGB, but does show what a major undertaking swapping in a Miata suspension is. Not to mention, about 6" wider.

[www.britishv8.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.