Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

simonbbt
cole king

(4 posts)

05/13/2022 09:23AM

Main British Car:

MGB-GT V6 better brakes
Posted by: simonbbt
Date: May 14, 2022 02:11PM

I have a BRG (that dark green thing, metallic) MGB-GT v6 that I am re-engining with a slightly larger new engine. I am very sure some one of you owners knows all the data in your head. Please direct me to the hot set up for
the replacement front disk brakes. "Changing engines didn't change the weight-balance of my car. Does a
more powerful car necessarily NEED upgraded brakes, or possibly not (since I don't really drive faster... just quicker)?" This engine actually runs to 5000 RPM.
Thank yo.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: MGB-GT V6 better brakes
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 15, 2022 09:32AM

Stock brakes in good condition are fine for most of us. All I have used for 21 years with a Buick 215. This includes track days, autox, & hard driving on backroads.

MG four six eight
Bill Jacobson
Wa state
(324 posts)

10/23/2007 02:15AM

Main British Car:
73 MGB Buick 215, Eaton/GM supercharger

Posted by: MG four six eight
Date: May 15, 2022 11:12AM

I've had 3 different versions of brakes on may car over the last 39 years.

Version 1, Stock front/Chrysler 10"x1 3/4" (same size as stock MGB, car has a Chrysler rear end) drums rear.
Version 2, Front MGC 5 lug hubs, MGC rotors machined to MGB V8 specs, cross drilled, MGB V8 calipers and rears same as above.
Version 3, Fast cars front end with Wilwood 11.6" vented rotors, four piston calipers, rears are Wilwood 11.4" non-vented rotors with 2 piston calipers. A 15/16" bore master cylinder which is a hybrid Camry/Isuzu Trooper set up.

All 3 versions work well, however with that being said I did manage to warp the front rotors a few times with the version 1 (stock set up). Almost always it was after some fairly aggressive driving down mountain passes. We have large mountain passes here in WA state that can test the brakes pretty good.

Version 2 is basically MGB V8 front brakes modified as per the improving your MGB special tuning book. Version 2 actually worked really well and I only managed to slightly warp the front rotors once when I was a little hard on the brakes. (again down a very large mountain pass in another state).

Version 3 obviously stops the best and I have yet to warp a rotor. Main reason for going with this set up is because I went with the FastCars front end for the improved steering geometry for my wider wheels and tires.

In conclusion I would agree with Carl that stock works well for most folks. The exception would be if you live where there are large mountain passes with lots of corners and steep descents. Then I would recommend Version 2, If I still had the stock front end, I probably would still be using this set up today as it worked pretty well.
Version 3 may be a little over-kill, but brake feel is excellent and I'm pretty sure that I will never exceed the limits of the brakes.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 16, 2022 09:44AM

I've not really experienced the Mountain roads that Bill has. Just the wee Smoky Mountains. ;) I did drive up & down Pike's Peak during the British V8 Meet in Co (as did Bill). I did not race back down the mountain & abuse my brakes.

If/when I do upgrade the front brakes, I will likely follow Charles Durning's recipe.

[forum.britishv8.org]

[www.mgexp.com]

He also came up with a very good rear disk conversion.

[forum.britishv8.org]

[www.mgexp.com]

[www.mgexp.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.