Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

blacktop
Randy Howard
Everett, WA
(24 posts)

03/30/2020 08:46PM

Main British Car:

Spitfire Front Suspension Mods
Posted by: blacktop
Date: May 25, 2023 03:54AM

As I dream of imagining my new Spitfire project I am wondering now as to the strength and durability of the stock Spitfire front suspension. I know it is tried and proven to work but to me it seems, well, just a bit wobbly looking. especially if you mount large tires, drop in a larger and heavier engine and trans, and go fast around corners. So I am wondering if possibly it is a good idea to improve the strength and rigidity of the component mounts and do something about those skimpy-looking A-frames.

So what do people do to beef up the front end so it looks like racing standard? Would GT-6 components help? Or what can be done fairly easily? I am sure this is an old topic by now.

Thanks.

Randy

Airwreckc
Eric Cumming
RTP, North Carolina
(250 posts)

05/28/2020 10:10AM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT (working on a Sebring project) Buick 300-4 V8

Re: Spitfire Front Suspension Mods
Posted by: Airwreckc
Date: May 25, 2023 09:26AM

Randy,

I'm guessing you've seen this build, but in case you haven't: [www.facebook.com]

Lots of good information--and it appears he used a complete Miata front suspension. Might be worth looking into.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2023 09:35AM by Airwreckc.

blacktop
Randy Howard
Everett, WA
(24 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 25, 2023 04:36PM

Thanks for the link Eric. That is by far the most complete restoration I have ever seen and very revealing as to how the car is constructed. What a work of love, I really cannot imagine how many hours were put into that amazing project. If you have any more sources for reconstruction or modifications to a Spitfire or similar car please send them my way. I am assembling a bible of sorts with parts suppliers, suspension alternatives, engine swaps, specs, and photos covering mostly Spitfire but some GT6 and MG stuff as well.

Again, many thanks for making the effort for me.

Randy Howard

Airwreckc
Eric Cumming
RTP, North Carolina
(250 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 26, 2023 08:59AM

Randy,

I'm an MGB guy, so I don't have anything else on the Spitfire, other than to suggest that you also consider a Mustang II or any of the aftermarket Mustang II version front suspension options out there. There are LOTS of those things people use for street rods and they are highly customizable. I nearly went with that setup for my MGB myself, before I found a purpose built one for cheap.

I think your Spit should be a fun project, with that GM V6--keep us posted on your progress.

Eric

blacktop
Randy Howard
Everett, WA
(24 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 27, 2023 01:04AM

Hi Eric et all,

A lot of folks have used the Mustang II front suspensions for hot rods as you say. So many in fact that they have become difficult to find at a wrecker. Now they are replicated as an aftermarket item but are a bit spendy. If new figure around $1,000-1,500 for a unit with brakes.

I would be curious if anyone knows. What is the weight of a stock 1500 Spitfire engine and trans with or without accessories?

Randy

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 27, 2023 08:50AM

The Mustang II was only built from 1974-1978. So, no wonder it is slim pickings at the junkyard. The same suspension design was also used in the Ford Pinto.

The aftermarket has been offering improved Mustang II front suspensions for nearly 40 years. Too pricey, consider building you own.

[www.hotrodplans.com].

How to Mustang II

[www.jalopyjournal.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2023 09:09AM by MGBV8.

blacktop
Randy Howard
Everett, WA
(24 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 28, 2023 12:15AM

Most excellent Carl!

That suspension should be suitable for just about any engine to be imagined. Looks a lot like a Spitfire version but much beefier. Perfect, and there should be a lot of options for brakes as well.

Randy

blacktop
Randy Howard
Everett, WA
(24 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 28, 2023 12:31AM

As a PS to my previous message,

Has anyone taken the time to create a 3D CAD file of both the parts and assembly for the Mustang II suspension? I just ordered the how-to book from hotrodplans so should have some more info soon. I use Solidworks but any reasonable CAD program should be able to open and edit a .DXF file I think.

Randy

Airwreckc
Eric Cumming
RTP, North Carolina
(250 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 01, 2023 10:01AM

Great post, Carl. If didn't already have my Hoyle front suspension, I'd definitely look at this myself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.