Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

morgana
Skip Heller

(3 posts)

10/23/2007 07:22PM

Main British Car:

MGB-GT V6 better brakes
Posted by: morgana
Date: October 23, 2007 07:30PM

Gentlemen:
I have a BRG (that dark green thing, metallic) MGB-GT v6 that I am re-engining with a slightly larger new engine. I am very sure some one of you owners knows all the data in your head. Please direct me to the hot set up for
the replacement front disk brakes. "Changing engines didn't change the weight-balance of my car. Does a
more powerful car necessarily NEED upgraded brakes, or possibly not (since I don't really drive faster... just quicker)?" This engine actually runs to 5000 RPM.
Thank you, Skip Heller

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: MGB-GT V6 better brakes
Posted by: rficalora
Date: October 25, 2007 02:00AM

If you haven't changed the weight or weight distribution on the car, there's probably no need to upgrade the brakes. But, if you want to upgrade them, you may be able to shorten your stopping distance (the practical side) or just add "cool" factor. Classic Conversions Engineering (CCE) has a couple of brake upgrade options; check them out at www.classicconversionseng.com.

Rob

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: October 29, 2007 10:27PM

I agree with Rob. I drive a V6 BGT with auto trans and have no trouble with the brakes. I ran it pretty hard at the V8 meeting on the trakc and the brakes did not fade at all. I also run at a standing start mile and have no trouble stopping from over 100 mph.
The origianal brakes are fine for street use and in my case track use also.

Steve

Anonymous User

( posts)

12/31/1969 07:00PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: October 31, 2007 11:58AM

The brake performance of the MGB with the stock setup depends on what you are comparing it to. Compared to a freight train, the MGB will stop on a dime. Compared to my WRX, my MGB V6 might as well not stop at all. That said, my car has stock rotors with Porterfield pads and, with planning, it stops fine in normal driving. Bear in mind that most kits require upgrades to 15" wheels which can add $1200+ to the cost of the conversion, depending on how you go about it. Rebornco, Hawk and Moss also offer kits. You will drive MUCH quicker with better brakes.

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: November 21, 2007 12:02PM

I think a good rule of thumb about increasing braking ability is this: Can you lock up your front wheels with the brakes you currently have in a panic stop? If so you have enough brake, bigger pads or rotors won't help as you can already excede the traction of your tires. If you're experiencing fade after repeated stops in traffic, then upgrades can be very helpful.

Anonymous User

( posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 26, 2007 12:07PM

There is also some value in the "feel" of the brake pedal, reduction in unsprung weight and the balance between the front and rear brakes. Modulation and fade are key in brake performance and are the #1 reason to upgrade. It's easy to make a car go fast, it's much harder to make it turn and stop. If a car turns and stops well, it will spank the powerful car on a twisty track or road. This is where the true value of an investment in brakes lies, in overall performance. Also, I think a car must be, above all, easy to drive fast. A driver should have 100% confidence in the consistent performance of all components at all times, which is a challenge with a stock 40 year old British car chassis. Brake technology has evolved but, since the fundamental design is essentially the same, modern components are typically easy to retrofit.

Anonymous User

( posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 18, 2007 06:34PM

OK, this forum inspired me to spend an entire Sunday - when I could have been sailing - lying on the garage floor swimming in brake fluid. Hydraulic brakes are the most miserable devices known to man but I must say the fluid tastes pretty good and the filth which covers you does wear off in a few days. I run CNC dual master cylinders with a balance bar, stock MGB front calipers and rotors with Porterfield pads and 11" drums on the Dana 44 rear axle. My mission was to improve pedal feel and shorten stopping distances.

First, CNC makes great parts and offers excellent support over the phone. I installed a Wilwood 2 psi residual pressure valve on the front circuit to keep the pads on the rotor, bled both circuits, and started cranking on the balance bar to bias the brakes toward the front. To make a long story short, the efforts paid off and I have cured the brakes of most of their ills. I have a new respect for the stock brakes, but the current theory regarding a slight "sponginess" in the pedal is caliper flex attributed to the lever effect on the old Lockheeds when you really give 'em the beans. The lesson learned is that the fundamental engineering is sound, but the brakes need lots of tweaking to get them to operate to their potential...

bplus
Tracy Moore
Jacksonville, Fl
(40 posts)

11/24/2008 06:36PM

Main British Car:
71' MGB GT 350 Chevrolet

Posted by: bplus
Date: March 24, 2009 11:16PM

68-72 chevelle front rotors with '70 dodge
dart calipers are used on cobra kit cars
using MGB front suspensions. Added benefit
of 5 lug rotors. I've found rotors,calipers,
caliper brackets,hoses, wheel bearings,etc
using strictly chevelle parts in kit form on line
at very reasonable cost. Type in 68-72
chevelle front brake rotor on search. Plenty
to choose from.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.