Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Brake bias calculator link.
Posted by: rficalora
Date: October 22, 2011 01:37AM

Bill - I used the Camaro cables. Front/rear bias - good question--- Car's braking feels good, but I've not tested a panic stop and don't even know what position the bias valve is in. I'll probably check it out this weekend. Note that I have Wilwood 11.75 front rotors with their dynalite 4-pot calipers up front and a 15/16" master cylinder.

socorob
Robbie
La
(173 posts)

09/17/2009 04:42PM

Main British Car:
1963 Sunbeam Alpine Series 2 Ford 2.8 V6

Posted by: socorob
Date: October 22, 2011 07:25PM

The rx7 rear from the turbo mounting holes are 6 inches apart. I didnt have my caliper so thats with a tape measure, so I may be off 1/16. I think the turbo rx7 had vented rears and the NA one had solid rotors. It would be nice to start a sticky or another thread with listings of calipers that have built in parking brakes that list the rotor size and thickness they go with and the piston size. It would be a nice little database to have.

MG four six eight
Bill Jacobson
Wa state
(324 posts)

10/23/2007 02:15AM

Main British Car:
73 MGB Buick 215, Eaton/GM supercharger

Posted by: MG four six eight
Date: October 24, 2011 01:29AM

Graham
Looks good! Are those newer Mustang calipers? We had a Mustang Cobra that had very good brakes, 13" front rotors and I believe 11.5" rears!

Rob
That is good to know, sounds like your fronts are similar to mine. I still have the CB B master cylinder and a residual pressure valve on the front. I supect that I may have to go to a larger master cylinder though. However I wanted make a decision on the rears and get them installed first to see how the "pedal feel" works out.

I've been doing some more research and noticed that the auto-makers usually build in and addtional 5-10% front bias. Mainly for safety concerns to help prevent early rear lock-up in wet weather I suppose. If the car is driven in wet weather it would make sense to either go a little smaller on the rears and/or have an in the car adjustable bias valve.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 01:30AM by MG four six eight.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: October 24, 2011 09:12AM

Quote:
Are those newer Mustang calipers?

They are indeed from a mid '90's Mustang - non-vented 10.5" dia rotors.
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.