Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Reinforcing the spring hangers -- error in Williams' book?
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 07, 2008 08:35AM

I'm looking at the MGB rear chasis strengthening brace & mounting point for anti-tramp bars -- figure D8-1, pg. 110 of the latest edition of his 'How to Give your MGB V8 Power' book... It looks like the height dimension on the lower left of the picture shows 4" from the bottom to the center of the top hole... I think that should be 4" overall height instead. Can someone verify that?

Also, picture 8-2-5 on pg. 109 shows the brace tieing into the rear spring hanger, but not using the existing hole except to tie a heavy gauge strap to the body. The upper hole in the brace (from D9-1) then holds the spring & the lower hole the anti-tramp bar. Is that how you guys have done this? What's the advantage of that vs. making the brace's upper hole line up with the existing spring hanger holes?

I don't need an anti tramp bar with my IRS, but I want to put the bracing in now while the car is on the rotiserrie & figure I might as well make it so the rear end could be switched to a spring hung straight axle down the road since it's not any extra work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.