Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

triumphtr2
tim body
St thomas ont Canada
(87 posts)

08/18/2010 10:21PM

Main British Car:
1954 TR2 serial # TS 110 L triumph 2 litre

wiring harness removal
Posted by: triumphtr2
Date: December 16, 2011 09:36PM

Hey clan as the Roverman would say : I'm starting a project to put a 2.3 ford Turbo into a TR3. The motor I'm buying doesn't come with a wiring harness so I'm buying one separate. The motor is an 88 thunderbird 5 speed and the wiring harness is coming out of an 87 Mustang 2.3 5 speed.nonTurbo .Here is the problem. I dont know much about EFI its Friday night and I have to take out the harness on Sunday. I would get a Haynes manual on the appropriate Mustang at our townlibrary but its bering renovated and most books are in storage. Can anyone give me some general pointersto go by to get all the harness out safe and sound.? I'm going to check with my general mechanic tomorrow and some car guy friends but anything you guys can tell me would be a great help. Tim

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Re: wiring harness removal
Posted by: BWA
Date: December 18, 2011 08:19PM

Welcome fellow Canuck to the forum!! That TR2 will smoke with that engine! The only help I can offer you is take as much of the system as you can. Later on you can always discard stuff that is not necessary, it is better this way than having to go back to get something that you might have missed. I do not know how integrated these systems are. When my buddy and I picked up the GM v6 for my TR6 we pulled everything we could in the engine bay and followed wires under the dashboard and took out whole connectors that connected to the ECU along with the ECU. Grab the fuse box and the connector for the fuse box if you can. If you have to cut any wires be generous as it is always easier to shorten them than to have to splice onto them.
This my humble advice to you I hope someone on this forum can be more specific.

Cheers
Byron (from Calgary Alberta)

tr6turbo
Dale Knapke
Sidney, Ohio
(169 posts)

08/24/2008 09:44PM

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph TR6 Ford 2300, 4 Cyl Turbo

Posted by: tr6turbo
Date: December 18, 2011 09:55PM

Tim, I put a Turbo Ford into my TR6 so I am glad to see someone else using this motor in a TR3. You would be better of starting with a 87 or 88 Turbo Coupe harness. The 87 mustang can work but you will have to repin the computer connector and change some wiring for the Turbo Coupe air vane meter. Turboford.org is a good web site for information. I also would be glad to help with information where I can. My car is in the photo gallery under Dale Knapke.

triumphtr2
tim body
St thomas ont Canada
(87 posts)

08/18/2010 10:21PM

Main British Car:
1954 TR2 serial # TS 110 L triumph 2 litre

Posted by: triumphtr2
Date: December 19, 2011 09:06PM

Hey Byron thanks for the advice. We got the harness yesterday. We started by pulling out the ECM from the passenger footwell and diconnecting. Pulled the wiring out thru the firewall and disconnected every thing moving acrossto the drivers side.By that time we were frozen, it was only about zero degees and we could'nt work anymore to disconnect the fuse panel to pull out that part of the harness so we cut it took out losses and headed back sixty miles for home. Hopfully we can get what we lost at the local wreckers.Dale thanks for responding. The guy I bought the motor from knows what has to be repinned and haa schematics so that will help. I'm getting the ford injection manual too. I have pictures of your motor enlarged (cant say blown up when talking about a motor) and hanging up fpr inspiration. What a beautiful motor and engine bay. I think that is what made me decide to go that route. Will keep you informed of progress. Forgot to say the TR2 is staying stock ,The 60 TR3 is going for a ride. Thanks guys Tim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.