Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: Easy "Panard Bar", anti roll bar ?
Posted by: roverman
Date: February 15, 2012 05:10PM

Seems I recall "Stock Car Products/used" to sell a watts link that mounted on 9" Ford front pinion bearing flange, maybe 8" ? What if someone were to have a clever design of putting the panhard bar in "torsion", for double use as a anti roll bar ? Internal threads,(acme) on each end, would be zirk lubed and 2 axis load bearing. Properly done as the bar torsions,the arc could be reduced in vertical movement. What if ? roverman.

Preform Resources
Dave Craddock
Redford,Michigan
(359 posts)

12/20/2008 05:46PM

Main British Car:
72 MGB V6 3.4

Re: Easy "Panard Bar"
Posted by: Preform Resources
Date: February 15, 2012 07:18PM

Yes a panhard bar is a compromise to the watts or jacobs ladder, but for most apllication they are easier to fab and locate and work well for street apps.
Dave Craddock

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: February 16, 2012 09:24AM

That's one thing I liked about the 4-link purchased from CCE - a great light coilover suspension that precludes additional axle location devices.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: February 16, 2012 10:08AM

Yes, he's done a good job on that and it seems to work well. Just going to the coil-overs to get rid of the ox-cart springs was a big plus. Apparently having the axle 1/3 of the way down the arch isn't particularly good design which surprises me a little considering the quality of engineering on most of the car. Was it an afterthought once use of the Jag IRS fell through? We may never know. But I've heard rumors that this was their plan when the body was designed. I think I've come fairly close to the suspension that was originally intended for the car given that it is a first attempt, but if I do another one I think I can get a lot closer, maybe eliminate the need for flares for instance. Probably have to do a set of front hubs to match offsets. But this has little to do with panhards aside from them not being needed.

I thought Art's idea was interesting, though I'm not sure where he is going with the acme threads and I haven't been able to visualize how it could work.

Jim

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

Main British Car:

Re: Easy "Panard Bar", and beyond..........
Date: February 16, 2012 11:26AM

Jim B. and clan, If bar is mounted with "high angle" heims, and they have enough rotational,(torsional) potential, then heim could be locked inside panhard/anti-roll bar. This bar will need approx. 90 deg. ends/levers attached at ea. end to facilitate anti-roll input/resultants. This would be simplest approach. If using single axis pivots on ea. end,(bushings), then bar would need to rotate on "Acme" style threads(dia. acts as bushing). Pure race cars try to design so that one part/assembly serves more that one function. This saves weight and facilitates better space utilization. Share my vision, till I learn to ^$$^*(* post pictures. Thanks, roverman.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 11:38AM by roverman.

denvermgb
Brad Carson
Aurora, Colorado
(104 posts)

03/10/2008 12:45AM

Main British Car:
1975 MGB 350 SBC bored 0.040 over

authors avatar
Posted by: denvermgb
Date: February 18, 2012 10:35AM

Art,

I made a panhard bar for my car, really helped with the handling. I used an extra engine stand I had, the square tubing was just the right size to accomodate the Fox body Mustang panhard bar I used. If you want more details, you can go to the MG Experience forum engine swaps and look at the "Panhard Bar Construction" thread (for some reason, the MG Experience site is down right now, or I would post the link).

Brad

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

Main British Car:

Re: Easy "Panard Bar", Ox cart springs ?
Date: February 20, 2012 12:13PM

Perhaps we're referring to " rear, roll oversteer/roll understeer" ? If said springs contribute to proper amount of wheel base "stagger", this could be a good thing,(greater lateral accelleration). As with any variable, your results may vary. Cheers, roverman.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.