Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Manual Stability Control
Posted by: roverman
Date: April 24, 2012 11:24AM

Some oem's drag the inside rear brake, to help the vehicle "pivot" in a turn, (computor control). How about manually ? Buggies have been using "steering brakes" forever. It appears Hemi Healey will be tire footprint challenged, in the front. Maybe "this" could help ? "It was a lucky guess", roverman.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Manual Stability Control
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: April 24, 2012 01:33PM

No reason why it wouldn't work, but I'd have reservations that it would be too easy to over apply the brake at some time and cause a loss of control. Buggies don't usually travel at the speeds I suspect that the Hemi Healey will be going.
And to make it work you'd have to run an open rear, no posi or such and that could create traction problems in other areas.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: April 24, 2012 03:06PM

Bill and clan, t-axle is "open" and were I to try this, I would pressure-limit to rear wheels, so as not to exceed traction available. Probably simpler to spend more time putting larger wheels/tires on front. Cheers, roverman.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: April 24, 2012 09:45PM

Darn, and I had the linkage all figured out! LOL Three master cylinders one on the left one on the right and one in the center for the front brakes with a pedal that was hooked to the center cylinder and one each for the other two side cylinders, the center pedal would overlap the sides a bit allowing even braking when pushed, but you could slide your foot over to one side or the other to apply the rear brake on that side only; Love these engineering challanges.LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.