Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

71lexenza
Jason Huskinson

(4 posts)

06/04/2012 03:39AM

Main British Car:

Modified steering rack
Posted by: 71lexenza
Date: June 04, 2012 03:59AM

Gents, i have a problem with my project (1uzfe into a 1971 firenza) i have had to move the steering rack forward by 70mm to allow the engine to sit in its final resting place. I dont have the front suspension assembled yet but i am guessing the rack arms will now not reach the steering arms.

I was thinking of extending them but i think the extention piece will also need to be bent to allow them to operate as originally designed.

Has anybody done this?

Will it effect steering geometry?

Cheers Jason

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Modified steering rack
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: June 04, 2012 08:52AM

Yes, it will affect geometry, but mostly bump steer. The main problem will be to make sure that the tires don't rub on the steering links at full lock with that much movement. Bending the arms really won't help anything, the action is still the same as a straight rod but it may gain you some clearance with the tires but at the cost of limiting the adjustment a bit. Instead of moving the rack forward can you move it down a bit? That's what Jim Blackwood did on the Roadmaster and his MGB for clearance and it worked fine with the steering arms flipped side for side. Curtis has a good article posted that has some good shots of thy front suspension.

71lexenza
Jason Huskinson

(4 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 04, 2012 04:14PM

Ok, i will have a look at moving it down.

I had another thought, i could off set it by about 0.75" to the drivers side but keep it in the original mounting plane. I could play about with track rod ends to take out the offset, what do you think??

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 04, 2012 04:52PM

If playing with the track rod ends means simply extending one and shortening the other, than I think it's a bad idea. All cars have some roll steer, but your roll steer would be asymmetrical and that would make your car's handling very peculiar. However, if you mean shortening one side of the rack assembly and lengthening the other - inboard of the inner swivels - then I think it's a splendid idea.

71lexenza
Jason Huskinson

(4 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 05, 2012 01:47AM

Late last night thought of another idea! If i make my own brackets to clamp the centre section of the rack, i can keep the rack in the original position, i can then rotate the rack by about 15° and then the input shaft will clear the block, That way it should not effect the geometry!! Will let you know how i get on!!

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: June 05, 2012 08:18AM

That is very similar to what Jim Blackwood did on the Roadmaster, used split shaft collars to mount the rack so that he could drop it and rotate it as well. Take a look at the photos, you'll see very clearly how he did it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.