Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Re: Narrowing My Ford 8.8 Differential
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: September 04, 2012 06:56PM

"I've been dreaming about BBS RS like those for years. Did you happen to weigh them without tires?"

Carl,

Haven't weighed them yet as I left the old Dunlops (hard as rocks) on so I can roll the sled around the garage when I need to. When I swap tries in the spring, I'll weigh them and see what they come in at (already made a note on my MGB "to do" list for you). I'm also curious as to what they weigh but judging from how easy the tire/wheel combination is to heft up and on the hubs, not much.

DT

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: September 05, 2012 12:07PM

Quote from Art Gertz
Meanwhile, back at your garage, you mention possibly/purposely changing toe and chamber on a live axle rear end. How is this possible without relocating the opposite ends of the axles ? With ball splines on full floating axles, this readilly accomplished. Seems to me, welding the ends on crooked, will mostly affect how bearing and retainer seats and bolts up. Tire/wheel alignment and drum/rotor wear patterns, should be minimally affected, because the axle shaft alignment determines these. A bent axle housing will more likely affect wheel alignment, up to and including binding on the axle splines. Nice work. roverman.

Art

You are correct. All I was trying to do (and Jim B as well) was to get the outer bearings to run without binding and to not apply bending stress to the axle. What the circle track guys do is to bend the housing up next to the pumpkin to give a slight camber at the wheel similar to what a swing axle VW looks like if you push down on the car in back. The axle splines aren't happy running at an angle so they generate heat and wear out quickly, not something you want to do with a daily driver.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: September 05, 2012 06:58PM

I wonder if ball spline configuration is available for semi-floating axles ? Seems to me, the carrier will need to be offset downward, as the ends of the axles will, during decambering, to get negative camber without the binding. Cheers, roverman.

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: September 12, 2012 12:19PM

"I've been dreaming about BBS RS like those for years. Did you happen to weigh them without tires?"

Carl/Floyd,

I just had the front tires swapped and, while I was at it, took the opportunity to weigh one of the rims - 14.7 lbs without the knock-off and center ring. Also just found another pair on e-Bay that I'm going to pick up as spares.

They're damn hard to find in 16 x 7. Tons of 15s out there taken off, it seems, every Firebird that ever lived but the 16s are very scarce and when do find a set, they want an arm and a leg for them. Who knew? Back in the late 60s, early 70s when these were popular, I bet every other kid in my high school had them on their car.

DT
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.