Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

"new" wheels for the Hillman, question about spacers
Posted by: mgbreis
Date: August 21, 2012 11:03AM

Things have been going very, very slowly with the Hillman. Working on the front and rear suspensions, and it's a frustrating process when everything is modified, from a donor car, etc. You guys know how that goes, solve one problem which creates a new problem. I found out that the Alpine suspension, which allows me to run disc brakes in front, also unfortunately widens the track by 2". So, the dayton wires are out as the offset is wrong and they stick out in front. Being on a budget, I found a set of wheels at the u-pull-it for now, late model mercury cougar. What say you?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c298/mgbreis/securedownload-3.jpg

They need a little spacer in both front and back, measuring with washers tells me 3/8" is about ideal. Is it safe to run that thick of a spacer? I'll have to install longer studs. See, one problem leads to another...

The wheel in the picture has a 205/65/15, and I'm either going to buy 185/65 or 195/60 tires. They tuck nicely in the rear but a narrower tire is going to look better in the front as the wheel still sticks out just a little further than I'd like. I hate to run two different sizes but I might end up doing it anyway.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Re: "new" wheels for the Hillman, question about spacers
Posted by: mgb260
Date: August 21, 2012 12:27PM

Ryan, Just my opinion but, I would use 1" spacer that has studs on it on the rear to even track width. Then go with the 195/60 tires all the way around.

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Re: "new" wheels for the Hillman, question about spacers
Posted by: mgbreis
Date: August 22, 2012 02:58PM

Thanks Jim. I haven't actually measured the width of the rearend, it's a narrowed 7.5" Ford. I don't know what the track of the rear is compared to the front. It doesn't appear, to my eye at least, that the rear wheels need to move out that much. I won't know for sure until I get the tires on that I'm going to use. In the front, I don't want to move the wheels out at all but I have to go to the 3/8 spacer as there is interference with the upper a-arm and the wheel. It's pretty frustrating because I ignorantly thought that the alpine suspension would be the same in all dimensions and the dayton wires would be fine. There's not much I like less than tires/wheels that stick out, and it's turning out that there just isn't much room in front to tuck the tires inside the fenders. I'd love to measure the fender lip to fender lip width of an alpine compared to my Hillman, just to see how they compare.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.