Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

rsdgeorge
Rocky George

(11 posts)

03/18/2013 08:09AM

Main British Car:

Crossmember mods
Posted by: rsdgeorge
Date: March 18, 2013 09:55AM

I just joined the Forum. I have a 76 roadster with 2.8 V6 and WC T5, all suspension and brakes are stock. I would like to lower my car and I have seen lowering blocks for the rear and springs for the front. I was looking at the crossmember and saw the spacers added to raise the ride height and was wonderin could these be removed to lower the front in addition to springs.

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Re: Crossmember mods
Posted by: mgbreis
Date: March 18, 2013 10:15AM

I'm not sure if you can just remove the spacers from the rubber bumper crossmember, but swapping the x member out for a chrome bumper x member has been done. Just keep in mind whether you remove those spacers or swap in a chrome bumper x member, either way it's going to screw up the relationship of the steering rack pinion to steering column.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: March 18, 2013 11:13AM

The blocks can probably be removed but the steering rack mounts are also different. The later unit mounts the rack at a slight transverse angle. This will cause a little trouble in aligning the pinion with the column. You can remedy that by changing to the shaft collar type mounts which requires a bit of welding but is otherwise pretty straightforward.

Jim

rsdgeorge
Rocky George

(11 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 18, 2013 08:57PM

Thanks guys. I have looked at the rack mounts and have wondered if a CB crossmember would work. I am not afraid of the work, just wondered if it was possible. I brought this up on another forum and only got one logical answer, everyone else thought I fell up a tree asking. I am glad to be on a Forum where everyone is conversion oriented.

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgbreis
Date: March 19, 2013 11:31AM

Rocky, I didn't see you're other post, I'm assuming it was on the mgexperience. If you haven't seen it, I think this thread (http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,1329892,page=1) from the mgexperience has about the best description of lowering a RB car that I've seen. It covers both the rear and the front, the info on swapping a CB x member starts on page 4 at post #71. If I was lowering a CB this is exactly how I'd do it.

rsdgeorge
Rocky George

(11 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 19, 2013 05:32PM

I did originally post on MGE and I have seen many posts by baloonfoot and he is probably the most knowledgable person on the Forum and thinks "outside the box" which is what I like to do. I am not afraid of taking a step of the cliff, I have been doing things I would not have attempted several years ago. It may sound strange but I have got a lot of confidence watching American Hot Rod and seeing how things are done. I am in contact with a guy for a CB crossmember for $10 in the Atlanta area and will cost about $30 to ship. Really want to go 5.0 but economics says no at this time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.