Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Merv
Merv Hagen
IL
(104 posts)

05/21/2008 05:48PM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB Buick 215 T-5 Trans

Wilwood Master Cylinder Install
Posted by: Merv
Date: September 08, 2013 05:08PM

This is really intended to thank Larry Shimp for his excellent write up for the installation of Wilwood (WIL-260-7563) master cylinder.
[www.britishv8.org]

For the last couple of years I have been trying to solve problem with what I thought was excessive brake pedal travel on my 1966/1980 MGB. Car would stop just fine but had 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches of pedal travel (depending on how much I wanted to lie to myself). Once you get in your mind that you have a possible problem with your brakes it is hard to overcome.

I tried replacing everything from brake hoses, master cylinder, Brake booster,front calipers, new brake pads, adjusting rear brakes (S10 rear end drum brakes), installing a residual valve for rear brakes and nothing seemed to reduce brake pedal travel.

After looking at all of the options on this web page I finally decided to try what I thought was the easiest change and tried the Wilwood master cylinder installation described by Larry Shimp.

Installation went very smoothly although I did chance a couple of things such as brake line routing as I thought this was a bit easier, but the end results reduced my brake pedal travel to one inch max (about the same as my Honda or Corvette) and after around 2 years of screwing with this problem I could not be happier.

Thanks Larry, I wish that I would have made this change 2 years ago.

Merv

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Re: Wilwood Master Cylinder Install
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: September 08, 2013 06:13PM

Great news Merv. As a good friend of Larry's, I'm sure he appreciates the "Thank You", but would prefer a
Dozen "TIM HORTON'S" Doughnuts! You know how good the doughnut and coffee are :-)

Merv
Merv Hagen
IL
(104 posts)

05/21/2008 05:48PM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB Buick 215 T-5 Trans

Re: Wilwood Master Cylinder Install
Posted by: Merv
Date: September 08, 2013 08:40PM

Kelly when Larry was out on the East coast perhaps he could appreciate the fine tastes of foreign cuisine, but now that he is a cheese head I’m not so sure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.