Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: MGB IRS Q-and-A
Posted by: rficalora
Date: December 05, 2013 08:00AM

Hi Art - yes, R200S. I have Chevy S10 4x4 hubs. Same spline as the Nissan stub axle. Those are 5x4.75 lug pattern. Could probably redrill for other 5 lug pattern. I don't recall the hub centric ring diameter, but check that too. R200S is popular with the Cobra kit car crew so might also check their forums.

If your CV axles aren't the right length, contact a company called "The Driveshaft Shop" in Salisbury NC[www.driveshaftshop.com]. they really helped me on my axles and were great to work with. They could probably also recommend hub options based on stub axles that fit the nissan CVs.

Moderator: I split these posts out of a thread about MGB hardtops... but I did it badly so they're out of proper sequence. My apologies for any confusion this causes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2013 04:36PM by Moderator.

Med72
Art Medrano
Austin, Tx
(52 posts)

01/31/2012 09:25PM

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph TR6 GM 350

Re: What do you think?
Posted by: Med72
Date: December 05, 2013 02:23PM

Rob:

Awesome....that is what I wanted to know. I have spoken to the driveshaftshop and they said all I had to do was provide the demensions i.e length and spline requirements

I had called Todd Budde from Custom rod works, nice guy. He told me to look for a IRS from an late model GTO. I saw what you used the R200 and I all ready have the R200 so I want to use it. I just did not want to use the hub knuckes from the Nissan 300zx..

ebay or salvage yards here I come.

thanks for the info

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 05, 2013 06:08PM

Check rockauto.com too. Todd actually built mine and I've subsequently modified it quite a bit. If I were doing it again I'd do it myself making the cage lighter and designing the uprights and control arms to fit inside my wheels (15"), to be easier to align, and to be quieter... The bushings are very noisy!

Med72
Art Medrano
Austin, Tx
(52 posts)

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph TR6 GM 350

Date: December 06, 2013 12:49PM

Rob:

I will check with rockauto.com thanks. Wow, from what I see, the cage looks light. From what I see in the photo, Todd used the S10 stock hub and bolted it onto a fabricated knuckle...correct...or is the knuckle that bolts to the A arms a stock S10 part?

Does it matter what year of S10 4x4?

Med72
Art Medrano
Austin, Tx
(52 posts)

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph TR6 GM 350

Date: December 04, 2013 12:35PM

Rob:

I saw the IRS that is either being built or has been build for your MG. What type of differential did you use? I'm asking because I am using a R200 from a Nissan 300zx. It looks similar. I also wanted to ask where you got the rear hub knukles for IRS. I want to use the R200 and have the CV axles mate with a 5 lug hub.

thanks

Art

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 06, 2013 11:51PM

Curtis, is there a way to move the suspension portion of this thread to a new one in the right section?

Med72
Art Medrano
Austin, Tx
(52 posts)

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph TR6 GM 350

Date: December 07, 2013 11:49AM

Rob:

Thanks a bunch .......this is good info. Does the cage create what they call " the skateboard effect?"

I have decided to cutoff the rear portion of the TR6 frame. It is twisted from the weak point back. I am currently designing the cage but I wanted to ask is it worth having Todd Budde design and build the cage?

I want to use the same style of wheels you used. Did you take the sheels when Todd mocked up your IRS cage?

thanks again for the insight

Art

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 06, 2013 09:40PM

I used about a 92, but they are basically the same for a pretty wide range of years. You want front hubs and it doesn't matter if they have the ABS ring on them or not. The ones Todd originally used were non-ABS but when I replaced mine, I used ABS ones because I was able to get lifetime warranty ones for less than 1yr warranty non ABS.

RE: the knuckle... The basic design is a typical A-arm for the lower control arm. The inboard attachment points use threaded rod bushing ends like these [www.summitracing.com] which allows for adjusting toe. The upper control arm is a single bar with same type of end allowing camber adjustment. My bushings don't have the steel sleeves, those may make them quieter. The "knuckle" is just a steel plate about 3/8" or maybe 1/2" thick that has attachment points for the control arms and a hole in the middle. The S10 hubs bolt to it and the stub axles from the CV axles pass thru the hole and engage the splines in the hub. The only S10 part is the hub.

RE: weight... The cage is made with pretty thick wall pipe and heavier than it needs to be. In addition, the thick plate uprights are heavy. Added to that, on my IRS, the lower control arm and upright (knuckle) were made too wide to fit inside the wheel and were rubbing on the back side of the wheel lip so there's an extra 1/2" plate added on the upright to push the hub out an extra 1/2 inch which is more weight. I think finding an aluminium knuckle from some production car and designing the control arms to fit it would be lighter and make alignments easier too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.