Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Who has experience rebuilding CV axles?
Posted by: rficalora
Date: July 17, 2014 07:58PM

I'm replacing the boots on mine. One was split wide open & the other had about a 1/4" tear. I've disassembled, cleaned, reassembled & repacked the CV's and am putting the new boots on. The instructions with the new boots say to squeeze the air out of the boot before putting the 2nd clamp on... I did that on one, but the boot is deformed rather than normal looking. When I got the axles new they weren't deformed - and local autoparts store says none of the ones they sell are squished down so doesn't seem right. Googled around & some folks do say to squeeze the air out indicating heat from operation causes the boot to balloon out otherwise.

Anyone know for sure? Thinking I'll split the difference & squeeze some air out but not most/all if no one knows for sure.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Who has experience rebuilding CV axles?
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: July 17, 2014 10:44PM

Do not know for sure. Never had a problem with my Maxima boots (255K miles). There seems to be inferior quality replacement rubber everywhere. Find the best quality boots you can.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Who has experience rebuilding CV axles?
Posted by: rficalora
Date: July 17, 2014 11:36PM

Well, for now, had to use what was available locally. NAPA and O'Riellys were the only ones who had any. Couldn't tell which was better so used one of each. Will see which goes first.

Surprisingly, I got a reply from The Drive Shaft Shop already this evening even though they were closed before I even left the message... I can't say enough good about them! Answer was don't squeeze the air out. Should be equal pressure inside as outside. I was able to use a small screwdriver between the boot and axle to let it equalize.

They are back on the car now

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.