Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Dukebloodhound
Jeffrey Landry

(18 posts)

04/24/2014 02:56PM

Main British Car:

Jaguar IRS disassembly
Posted by: Dukebloodhound
Date: September 02, 2014 02:27PM

I have a quick question that I hope will have just as quick of an answer. I purchased a IRS from a late model XJ6 (1997 I think). I am having trouble removing the bolts/threaded shaft that secures the control arm to the cage. The nuts came off each side fairly easily, but I cannot get the rod to move more than a third of an inch in either direction. This the same on both arms. The rods that hold the hubs to the arms came out easily. Is this something that has to be pressed out? It appears that the holes through the cage that the rods exit was welded around the perimeter of it at the factory. Is the actual rod thicker that the threaded part that comes out of the hole?
Thanks for your help

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Re: Jaguar IRS disassembly
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: September 02, 2014 09:08PM

That rod is the same diameter all the way through Jeffrey.
But it runs through a rather long spacer between the control arm ears.
It's likely seized to that spacer or "distance piece".
Soak it down with penetrating oil and let it work its way in.
Resist the temptation the hammer it out as that will just wreck the threads.
If you have a puller that you can use then you're good to go. But I'll assume not.
That fulcrum rod will come out of either end so pick the easiest one to work on.
Grab a box full of washers and start stacking them up on the rod and use the nut to pull the rod through.
Once you run out of thread then remove the nut and stack some more washers and carry on.
It's a little tedious but gets the job done without damage.
You will probably find that once the rod starts to move that it will become quite free and can be gently tapped through.
Feed a piece of smaller rod or wire through following the fulcrum rod as there are many spacers and such that will fall out and you want to keep track of them.
Hope that helps
Cheers
Fred

Dukebloodhound
Jeffrey Landry

(18 posts)

04/24/2014 02:56PM

Main British Car:

Re: Jaguar IRS disassembly
Posted by: Dukebloodhound
Date: September 03, 2014 08:44AM

Thanks Fred! I have my project for tonight, besides mowing the lawn that is.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.