Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

tbo
Tim Body
St Thomas Ontario
(221 posts)

01/27/2013 06:47PM

Main British Car:
1954 Triumph TR2 stock 2 litre

1960 plus 4 2 seater rack and pinion addition
Posted by: tbo
Date: December 14, 2015 07:41PM

A friend of mine has this car andhe installed the rack and pinion . He likes it because it is lighter but turning lock to lock is greater by 1/2 a turn. He is do ing a frame off resto on it and when I saw how the steering rack is installed I was suprised..There is a sraight link between the left and right steering arms. The rack is positioned where the box used to be andthere is only one arm coming out of the rack. It goes very close to the passenger steering arm where it is attached to the connecting bar between the two steering arms. On the drivers side of the rack there is nothing.He has been driving it like that for years like that and everything is fine.Now what i'd like to know is ,,,is this a good way to get around bump steer, since the steering arms are connected level with each other ,,and can you raise or lower the rack itself without affecting bump steer at all?I mean it works and seems like a simple way to get around a complicated problem.. He sent me some pictures of the setup but I'm notcapable of posting them but I can get them posted if need be. Long winded but very curious. Can anybody help?Tim

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Re: 1960 plus 4 2 seater rack and pinion addition
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: December 14, 2015 09:41PM

It works, but it certainly isn't "good" Tim.
He's taken every advantage that rack and pinion offers and thrown them in the trash. He has however managed to keep all of the disadvantages of the traditional steering box with a few twists thrown in for good measure.
This thing should almost steer it'self.
The bump steer should be horrific.
I think what saves it is that it's an early Morgan.
The frame flexes and twists like an inflatable furniture store greeter.
Providing a comfortable ride.
They have virtually no suspension travel. So no opportunity for bump steer to rear it's ugly head
The other savior is it's sliding pillar suspension.
That long tie rod going from side to side is stock.
In a more conventional suspension, jounce and rebound vary the distance between the steering arms.
With the sliding pillar the distance does not vary. As long as the wheels move together.
Hit a pothole with just one wheel however and the wheels will toe in like Charlie Chaplin taking a gut punch.
The issue that his R&P have added is that the distance from the rack to that long tie rod varies as the suspension goes up and down.
This doesn't change the toe in but it does cause bump steer in a more direct fashion.
Moving the position of the rack will have the exact same effect.
There are kits and modifications available to improve the situation.
BUT!!!
It's an early Morgan.
It's not supposed to be good.
It's supposed to be fun.
If your friend is happy with it leave well enough alone.

Live like you mean it

Fred

tbo
Tim Body
St Thomas Ontario
(221 posts)

01/27/2013 06:47PM

Main British Car:
1954 Triumph TR2 stock 2 litre

Posted by: tbo
Date: December 17, 2015 07:10PM

Hello Fred. Thanks for the excellant rundown on the situation.He has always been happy with the conversion since it is easier to steer at low speeds as in parking. Thanks again and I wish you a very Merry Christmas!

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: December 17, 2015 08:57PM

Thanks Tim,
And a very Merry Christmas to you as well.
Ahh heck, a very Merry Christmas to everybody!

All the best
Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.