Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

MGB567
Barrie Braxton

(38 posts)

04/26/2015 12:13AM

Main British Car:

Steering column modification(s) when using Fastcars IFS
Posted by: MGB567
Date: December 18, 2015 12:50AM

I asked Google and Engine Swaps on MGEx but to no avail. I'm looking for pics and/or trying to understand how the lower half of the column (referred to by Moss-Europe as the pinion) locates. My column is a BHH1856 (UK 1979 GT) and the pinion 37H8770X according to Moss-Europe. As you know the stock pinion passes through one of engine mount brackets on the rail. I understand Fastcars has what they call an intermediate shaft which I assume runs from the universal on the end of my BHH1856 to their universal on the IFS. I want to understand how this fits but getting info from them is difficult. Before I try them on this aspect can anyone enlighten me? At present I'm using the existing rail brackets with V8 rubber mounts attached to an alloy plate which bolts on to my Rover V8 block.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Steering column modification(s) when using Fastcars IFS
Posted by: rficalora
Date: December 19, 2015 09:56PM

Barrie, the intermediate shaft is just a shaft that connects the MG OEM u-joint at the firewall to the FastCars u-joint at the steering rack.

I'm not sure if it lines up with the pathway through the frame rail mount but suspect it probably does. If you have the IRS mounted, use a piece of wood dowel to simulate the intermediate shaft. That will let you check wether you need to modify the frame mount. If your engine is in and you have the headers, you can als check header clearance. And, lastly, using the dowel will show you how long you need the shaft to be.

Several places make them. I got mine from Sweet Manufacturing in Michigan. You can get them from other places to. Pretty sure Summit Racing, Jegs, and Speedway Motors sell them too. You'll need the length and shape required to fit the u-joints. If they haven't changed it, FastCars is 3/4"x48 spline. The MG one was the same, but I also got a more compact aftermarket u-joint for the column end (also Sweet Mfg if I remember).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.