Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

waterbucket
Philip Waterman
England
(112 posts)

07/30/2011 01:08PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB GT

Widening the front track on a MGB
Posted by: waterbucket
Date: May 09, 2018 01:25PM

For various reasons I would like to widen the front track on my MGB by two inches. I know it means new top and bottom wishbones but what I am unsure of is how it will affect the Akerman angles while turning on corners. I know Triumph used the same complete front suspension assembly on the Herald and Spitfire and the GT6? In this case the track remained the same but the wheelbase on the Herald was 91.3 inches and the Spitfire was 83 a difference of almost 9%
What I am thinking of doing in effect is similar, widening the track is similar to shortening the wheelbase. My thoughts are if Triumph got away with it why won't I
Can any of you enlightened enthusiasts tell me why it will or will not work and any remedial work I might need to do, one thought is that I may need to bend the steering arm away (?) from the wheel a little on each side.
I am also posting this question on MG Experiance
Philip

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Re: Widening the front track on a MGB
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: May 09, 2018 02:12PM

If you are only lengthening the A arms 1" the effect on Ackerman will not be noticeable. Lengthen the tie rods coming off the rack and you're in business. Bump steer isn't that great to start with and this shouldn't change that either.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Widening the front track on a MGB
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 09, 2018 08:43PM

Quote:
I know Triumph used the same complete front suspension assembly on the Herald and Spitfire and the GT6?

Say what?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.