Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Braided to hard line brake connection
Posted by: rficalora
Date: January 23, 2009 12:19PM

Assuming consistent fittings on the ends of each, is it appropriate to make those sorts of connections "in line" with just retaining clips holding to the frame rails on both sides? Or do I need to do it like the MG had it where it goes through a hole in a tab that's welded to the cross member? Asking because the FastCars IFS doesn't have that tab so trying to decide if i need to put one on the body to serve that purpose.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Braided to hard line brake connection
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: January 23, 2009 12:42PM

Rob, With constant steering and suspension input to the drop hose, I think it good practice to provide a rigid joint connection between the hard line and the hose to the caliper (like the original MG connection tab). Have a look at any vehicle, and you'll find that a factory designed brake line clipping/retention system is never compromised.
If you decide to add a tab to the body,check drop hose articulation for full wheel lock and full suspension travel before you give it that final weld.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Braided to hard line brake connection
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: January 23, 2009 01:29PM

Absolutely, mount the line in a tab welded or bolted to the chassis. If you don't the vibration from the flexing will eventually work harden the hard line and cause it to break.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.