Steering, Suspension, & Brakes

tips, technology, tools and techniques related to non-driveline mechanical components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Airwreckc
Eric Cumming
RTP, North Carolina
(250 posts)

05/28/2020 10:10AM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT (working on a Sebring project) Buick 300-4 V8

Re: Alternate Rear Suspension Spitfire
Posted by: Airwreckc
Date: May 25, 2023 09:10AM

Randy,

I assume you are speaking of the so-called High Feature GM V6. If so, make sure you check the timing chain history on it--or get one with very low miles. I have another project (an early 2003 Cadillac CTS) that I plan to replace the engine with a late model HF V6. I picked up an engine with supposedly only 20,000 miles for $900. Also be aware that these engines, unless you're lucky, don't usually come with the ECU, which can be a bit of a can of worms. I did find a new ECU on eBay for a couple hundred, but I was pretty lucky in that find. Also, most of these engines have harnesses for automatic transmissions--I assume you will want a manual. If so, you may want to consider getting an engine from a Camaro, which often came with manual trans--and you could be lucky in getting the trans with the engine. The engine harnesses for these cars are not cheap--often as high as $500, so you can be money ahead to get one as a complete set (engine, ECU, harness, and trans).

Kard150
Kenny Ard

(84 posts)

12/03/2021 03:15PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Kard150
Date: May 25, 2023 04:10PM

Hey Randy, I don't know how much research you've done yet, but this is the same package as what i doing now with a TR6.

I can tell you that with enough effort you can get anything to fit BUT I would be concerned about hood clearance and ground clearance, these engines are taller than most. To get it to fit under the hood means the oil pan is below the frame rails. Their are cut down oil pans but all i could find was one that only shortened it a 1/2 inch.

Another area to measure is width between frame rails, the oil filter either has to be a remote or use the rear-wheel-drive set-up which moves the filter up by the valve cover. I preferred that style but can't fit it.

As far as wiring harnesses and ECM there are options, There are LFX sites on Facebook with lots of info and v8Miata and Kiesler Automation sells kits for swaps. I highly recommend Kiesler.

Any info or measurements you need let me know.

Ken

blacktop
Randy Howard
Everett, WA
(24 posts)

03/30/2020 08:46PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: blacktop
Date: May 25, 2023 04:40PM

Many thanks Ken. I am headed out to a wrecking yard today to snoop around. Tomorrow a 50% off sale starts and they have both a Cadillac CTS and a correct-year Impala for parts there.

Randy

Kard150
Kenny Ard

(84 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 25, 2023 04:45PM

The FWD engines are cheaper, but you'll end up buying the parts to swap it over. Best bet is buying a wrecked Camaro or CTS someplace and getting all the parts you'll need; I sure wish I had. Whichever way you go you'll need the rwd oil pan to mate too the transmission. Something else to consider the Cadillac trans is the preferred if you can find one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2023 04:48PM by Kard150.

Airwreckc
Eric Cumming
RTP, North Carolina
(250 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 25, 2023 10:08PM

Kenny, I assume you mean the Cadillac *manual* transmission is the preferred option? Either way, if he wants a manual, better to get an engine with the manual, or he'll need to either modify the engine harness or replace it. I have an LGX engine, by the way. Good call on that oil pan--I had forgotten that I'll need to source one for my project.

Airwreckc
Eric Cumming
RTP, North Carolina
(250 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 25, 2023 10:41PM

Randy, it's probably too late in your process, but speaking of the CTS, another engine you might consider is the first gen CTS 3.2 V6. It is a narrower angle (54 degree), so would likely fit better. Yes, it has less horsepower, but there are things the Aussies have done to give it more guts. The early CTS also had a 5 speed manual as an option, so it would be a nice little package. IF you do consider this, make sure it's an engine that hasn't thrown a timing belt--this engine did have rubber belts instead of chains.

blacktop
Randy Howard
Everett, WA
(24 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 26, 2023 04:16AM

I spent 2 hours this afternoon roaming around the local Pick n' Pull wrecking yard and found a 3.6 in a 2004 RWD SRX Cadillac. No manual trans unfortunately but the car is untouched by customers and the engine by all appearances is low mileage. So tomorrow I plan to grab the engine and everything associated with it including the wiring loom and CPU. I know I will need to get another CPU from a manual trans car eventually but it will give me something to use for mockup now. The engine is a LX7 and not a direct injection unit (which I wanted to avoid anyway) but is sequential port injected so the HP is lower than a Camaro unit at 255HP. That should be plenty enough to make a Spitfire move out smartly anyway.

Can any of you provide official GM dimensions for this motor with or without accessories? I did my best with a tape measure and got 24" height
23" length
20" width

Also, does anyone know if an aftermarket company made a stronger timing chain for this engine? I don't find that GM has ever offered one not prone to stretching.

Randy

Airwreckc
Eric Cumming
RTP, North Carolina
(250 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 26, 2023 08:47AM

Randy,

Here's what I found was the best timing chain video for that engine [www.youtube.com] . In it is an aftermarket timing chain that is supposed to be the best. But there are several aftermarket options besides this one--just don't cheap out on a no-brand one from eBay. Early CTS also had the LX7, just be prepared to deal with the wiring harness changes. Regarding the ECU, I'd look for an LX7 ECU that already was for a manual transmission car--a lot simpler than reprogramming your current ECU.

One more thing about that engine--it uses oil, so look into a high mileage synthetic oil--and don't be tempted to run a higher weight oil--that will cause other issues down the road.

Good luck with it

Eric

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2023 08:49AM by Airwreckc.

Kard150
Kenny Ard

(84 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 26, 2023 08:47AM

Randy the LH7 and the LFX are the same size, only the heads are different and as far as hp numbers all the fwd. units are rated lower, but I'm told it's just a matter of swapping the intakes and better exhaust. As for what to get, I would get everything I could better to not use it than having to buy each and every little part we never think of

28.125 height (with Camaro Oil Pan, the Impala SRX pan is shorter}
23.25 width
23.25 long
15.00 at the crank

Eric, I'm told hardly anything is the same between the LFX and LGX so who knows about the oil pan but it's worth looking into.
The only way i found out was to buy one and found it fixed two problems i was having. I do have a reprogrammed ECU for a LGX from Swap Specialties I would sell you if needed.

Ken

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2023 09:31AM by Kard150.

Airwreckc
Eric Cumming
RTP, North Carolina
(250 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 26, 2023 08:55AM

Kenny,

Good to know about the oil pan--I'll look at mine and see it there are differences. I am putting a 6L50 automatic in my project (an early CTS), so I ended up buying a new ECU for a Chevy Colorado--which had the rare combination of the LGX and 6L50 (most LGXs had the 8L50). I'm curious what your ECU might offer, though--I'd be interested in knowing more about it. And as an aside, do you know of any resource I could consult about interfacing a later ECU with an early body control module--I'd like to keep the existing BCM in my 2003 CTS, so everything works,

Kard150
Kenny Ard

(84 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 26, 2023 09:08AM

Theirs a couple shops offering parts and services you can contact, Keisler Automation has started doing LGX swaps into RX8s and Miata's and a guy in Florida Tracy Lewis Performance does a lot of performance and tuning.

Also, you have GM LFX V6 Swap Group and LFX Miata on Facebook, those are the guys with the most know about these engines and what has been done.

Ken

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2023 09:12AM by Kard150.

Kard150
Kenny Ard

(84 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 26, 2023 09:14AM

Eric, so you're putting an LGX in a MGB? I did a GM 2.8 back in the 80's into a 76 MGB
Sorry I went back and noticed you said CTS
Ken

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2023 09:17AM by Kard150.

Airwreckc
Eric Cumming
RTP, North Carolina
(250 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 26, 2023 01:51PM

Thanks Kenny,

My MGB will have a Buick 300. As you mentioned, the LGX I have is going into a CTS. Thanks for the ideas of where to get some tech support for that swap.

Eric

Kard150
Kenny Ard

(84 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 27, 2023 10:51AM

Randy, I came across this Spitfire build, you might get some nice ideas from it. Beautiful build

[www.facebook.com]

blacktop
Randy Howard
Everett, WA
(24 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 28, 2023 12:01AM

Hi Kenny,

I find that when I click on the link I get a message that says "This content is not available now". Any idea why?

Randy

Kard150
Kenny Ard

(84 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 28, 2023 09:53AM

The link still works for me but here is another
[www.facebook.com]

Try this one if not go on facebook and look up Michael Triumph

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2023 09:54AM by Kard150.

blacktop
Randy Howard
Everett, WA
(24 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 31, 2023 01:06AM

Well my weekend plans to pull an LX7 failed. The local wrecking yard was having a 50% off sale so I grabbed a case of tools and got there early The car was a 2004 Cadillac SRX which is a big AWD SUV. I highly recommend that you don't attempt to pull an engine from this vehicle in a wrecking yard. 8 sweaty hours later I almost had the engine and trans out but the FWD foiled me. I could not find how to pull the CV shafts without special tools and I had to give up.

But I learned what not to do from the experience and at the next sale I will be shopping for a standard CTS with manual trans if I'm lucky.

I did pick up two nice bucket seats from a 2008 Nissan sedan that may or may not be adaptable to a Spitfire. The bottom cushion with rails seems a bit tall. But some frame revision might make it work. Can anyone tell me what the cushion height of a stock Spitfire seat is measured to the floor?

Randy

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 31, 2023 12:06PM

I haven't ever wrenched on a Caddy SRX, but I have never used a special tool when replacing a CV half shaft. Some use a slide hammer, though.

I thought you just wanted the engine?

blacktop
Randy Howard
Everett, WA
(24 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 31, 2023 10:45PM

I did just want just the engine but the engine and transaxle are so integral it is impossible to separate them while in the car. It became very obvious that the engine/trans was built as a unit, placed in the subframe with all wiring and hoses attached, and the car then dropped on top of the assembly. A complete PITA to disassemble. Even with a well-equipped garage, it would have required removing the engine/trans as an assembly. Or better yet, the whole subframe unit as an assembly from under the car.

Airwreckc
Eric Cumming
RTP, North Carolina
(250 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 01, 2023 09:57AM

Randy, sorry to hear about the SRX troubles. I have both a CTS and SRX and can tell you the CTS is way simpler. I would suggest that IF you are lucky enough to find a manual CTS that you also pull the driveshaft and rear suspension and diff/half shafts. I think that the rear might work for your Spitfire and then you've gotten everything you need in one pull. I did pull just a differential from a CTS, and it was about an hour job, but pulling the whole thing may not be that much more work.

As an aside, you might want to expand your search to the ATS, as well. I suspect more ATSs had manual transmissions, and they are very similar otherwise. The big difference is that many of the manual ATSs had the 2.0 Turbo engine, which is actually an excellent engine with lots of potential (perhaps more so than the V6). It might be a very interesting engine in your project.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2023 10:05AM by Airwreckc.
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.