Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

08/18/2009 01:16AM

Main British Car:
1980 TR7 performance 4 cyl

Can welding be done in a cold garage - in fall/winter?
Posted by: TRip
Date: September 09, 2009 06:37PM

Hi everyone,

As some of you know I'm in the process of contemplating whether I should keep my TR7 and use it as my opportunity to learn to weld and fab. body bits.

I have a question tho about whether it's possible/advisable to attempt it in a cold (fall 32 F - 40F) or very cold (winter) garage?

The garage is not insulated or heated - space heaters haven't worked before... It can get really cold here. -25C WC or colder in Winter... Brrr!

My understanding is that the ideal temp of the metal should be 70 deg. F or higher. Am I correct or completely out to lunch here?

Most of the TR7 metal is relatively thin sheet metal ie rocker panels, rear firewall, inner wells etc.

Would it be best to just wait til next spring and keep learning the theory in the meantime?

Trip

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Can welding be done in a cold garage - in fall/winter?
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: September 10, 2009 08:28AM

I don't think you'd have any problems when the temps are above 0 degrees F, but when they drop lower it might cause some shrinkage issues with the rapid cooling after a weld. Remember the metal is already being heated from say 70F to well over 2000F in a matter of mili seconds and then allowed to cool as quickly as the air can remove the heat, so starting 70 degrees lower shouldn't make much difference at all. When welding cast iron or aluminum that another question all together, but for body sheet metal I'd say go for it if you can stand the cold. If you have any doubts then pre warming a bit with a halogen work light placed near the panel wouldn't hurt. If it's your garage I'd highly advise installing some insulation. Doesn't cost much and makes working there so much more comfortable winter or summer. Just adding some blanket type insulation can make a big difference in comfort.

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 10, 2009 02:44PM

Thank you for responding to my post, Bill.

"lower it might cause some shrinkage issues with the rapid cooling after a weld. " I was afraid that might happen.

"pre warming a bit with a halogen work light placed near the panel " Good idea.

"I'd highly advise installing some insulation" yes that's a good point.

"if you can stand the cold" That's the easy part. The hard part is the car standing the cold. Ha Ha!

Thanks for the advice, Bill.

Trip

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

07/06/2008 08:07AM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 Litre Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: WedgeWorks1
Date: September 10, 2009 02:58PM

I agree with Bill. There are also additional steps that can be taken when the temperature is Blow 32 degrees F such as increasing amperage settings if possible, 10 to 15% or decreasing the travel/feed rate by 30%. As a rule of thumb it is best to warm the area up to at least warm to the touch at the weld joint and approximately 6-inches on either side. You will see through trial and error on some scrap metal of the same or similiar thickness and temperature you plan on weldeing at on how the weld deposit looks and what to do to correct it for temperature.

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 10, 2009 03:07PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks, that's really valuable advice. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm now looking in my area for old tr7 bits - hoods, trunk lids - to practice/experiment on.

Trip

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgbreis
Date: September 21, 2009 11:11AM

I have an isulated garage but a lot of times in the winter I work without heat. I usually only have an hour or so to work on weekdays and I just can't justify the expense of warming the garage up. So usually I'm welding with my insulated coveralls and a stocking hat on. I never really took the air temperature into consideration but I don't think I've really noticed any difference in the weld results. I do the bulk of my work in the winter, there's too much other fun stuff to do in the summer!

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 21, 2009 02:29PM

"I do the bulk of my work in the winter, there's too much other fun stuff to do in the summer!"

You got that right! I agree with you Ryan... I'm thinking, winter's the best time to get that stuff done because summers are made for convertibles out and about not in the garage!!

Trip

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.