Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

08/18/2009 01:16AM

Main British Car:
1980 TR7 performance 4 cyl

Re: Lincoln Electric MIG-Pak 180 Wire Feed Welder - too much/little for beginner?
Posted by: TRip
Date: September 25, 2009 01:30AM

Thanks for link Rob,

I had seen that one too.. Couldn't believe that was the actual "official" site... Go figure! I wonder - if that's all there is to Clarke USA, what does it say about their products... warranties, getting it fixed under said warranty or even parts access???

Has worked well for Ryan, though and he hasn't had any issues with it. Maybe that says something too?? Hmmm.

I've tried to find out where they're made too but came up with nothing.

Trip

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Re: Lincoln Electric MIG-Pak 180 Wire Feed Welder - too much/little for beginner?
Posted by: mgbreis
Date: September 28, 2009 10:54PM

Mine has a sticker on the back that says "Made in Italy". That's about all I can tell you. I've never had to replace a gun or anything. I can get all the consumables at the local farm stores.

smelfi
Steve Melfi
Alexandria Ohio
(90 posts)

04/26/2008 07:35AM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB 302

authors avatar
Posted by: smelfi
Date: September 29, 2009 09:35AM

Here's part of a news article on Clarke from April this year.

After nearly a quarter-century in business, Clarke Power Products Inc. in Perrysburg had nailed down sales of more than $23 million a year. The cordless drills and other tools it imported from China and other places could be found in Menards Inc., Sears, Roebuck & Co., and Tractor Supply Co.
But in recent days, a new message has greeted callers to Clarke's offices on Glenwood Road: "Due to the trying economic times, Clarke Power Products is in Chapter 11 bankruptcy. We are no longer selling or servicing products. We have no staff members available to take your call." Only a handful of the firm's 40 employees remain, according to Raymond Beebe, company attorney. They are selling remaining products and winding down operations.

When the firm filed for Chapter 11 in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Toledo in January, officials hoped to restructure. But they were unable to secure bank financing and were forced to liquidate. Mr. Valentine isn't sure what will happen to product warranties issued by Clarke Power.

Steve Melfi

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 29, 2009 02:53PM

Ryan, After made in USA or Canada, Italy is a very good source.

Steve, Thank you for posting the news article and for the heads-up! I had been wondering if the CO had gone bust.

My list has just been shortened to the big three:

Hobart
Lincoln
Miller

The above three, I know are high quality and built in the USA but are very pricey. (get what you pay for) So I will keep looking for good used rigs instead.

Any others I should add to the list?

Thank you Ryan and Steve for your help.

Trip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 06:50PM by TRip.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: September 29, 2009 05:46PM

Esab make good equipment. One of the top picks.

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 29, 2009 06:52PM

Hello Jim,

Thank you for letting me know about Esab.

I'll check out their web site.

Cheers

Trip

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: September 29, 2009 09:38PM

The Lincoln you had picked out looked like a lot of welder for the money & one you could grow into.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: September 29, 2009 09:57PM

re: "the big three"

It's more accurate to say "big two". Miller and Hobart were grand old companies, with their own distinct products, customers, and values. From what I've been told, the old Hobart "Handler" MIG welders have a particularly excellent reputation... but they're an entirely different machine than what is labeled a "Hobart Handler" today. Miller was a family business until the family died off; then they became a wholly owned subsidiary of Illinois Tool Works (ITW) in 1993. Then, in 1995 ITW bought Hobart too, but the sale was delayed and altered by the Federal Trade Commission due to antitrust concerns. The sale became official in 1996 after ITW signed a consent agreement (which involved divesting parts of the Hobart business.) By now, Hobart is basically just a brand name that Miller puts on consumer/hobbiest versions of its equipment.

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 30, 2009 02:51PM

Hi Curtis,

That's really important info, thank you. It's good to know that Miller and Hobart are the same CO and that Hobart, because it's hobby/consumer, likely won't be as robust as the Miller units. Although, I don't think I'll be needing a heavy duty rig, it's definitely something I'll keep in mind.

Thanks for the information, Curtis.

Trip

B-Fast B-Strong
William Smith

(144 posts)

10/17/2009 11:28PM

Main British Car:
Bugeye Bodied Spriget

authors avatar
Posted by: B-Fast B-Strong
Date: August 13, 2010 05:13PM

Well I bought my Hobart 175 in 04 and it has been a great machine , they may have cheap-end them since then. I've heard someone say something about plastic feed rollers ! Now I will say something about the plasma cutter I have that runs on 115 and has a built in compressor , unless you are cutting under 1/8 inch , don't get one. I was told it would cut 1/4 inch when I bought it, right if you have all day. It is a quality machine and cuts good up to 1/8 but a time or two I wish I had bought bigger . You just need 220 to work on steel !
I did put a long cord set on my Hobart 175 so I can roll it all over the shop, even outside, I only have the one 220 plug right by the power box.

B-Fast B-Strong
William Smith

(144 posts)

10/17/2009 11:28PM

Main British Car:
Bugeye Bodied Spriget

authors avatar
Posted by: B-Fast B-Strong
Date: August 13, 2010 05:19PM

Oh, on the welder , get one with gas, you can't do a good weld without shielding.

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 26, 2010 12:00AM

Okay, thanks William, I'm looking for a good used welder in my area now and I'll be sure to get one with gas.
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.