Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Compressor question
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 29, 2007 08:22AM

I sold my compressor because it was marginal for spraying woodworking finishes (what I originally got it for) and couldn't keep up with with things like a die grinder.

Now that i'm getting into the body prep stage of my project I want to get a compressor that will keep up -- but don't want to break the bank. Is a 60 gallon ~10 CFM @ 90 / 12 CFM @ 40 sufficient to keep up with things like a die grinder & HVLP conversion gun for spraying primer & maybe final paint too?

Rob

MG four six eight
Bill Jacobson
Wa state
(324 posts)

10/23/2007 02:15AM

Main British Car:
73 MGB Buick 215, Eaton/GM supercharger

Re: Compressor question
Posted by: MG four six eight
Date: November 30, 2007 11:10PM

Rob
The die grinder should be no problem. The HVLP might be pushing it, depending on how large the item is thats being painted.
Best to go with a 2 stage 80 gal if you can swing it. The harder an air compressor has to work, the more heat you have. Higher temps suspends water vapor more, and increases the chances of having water get past the traps and into your paint work.
A compressor that dosn't have to work as hard will last longer too.
Usaully there are 2 stage 80 gal compressors for about $800 ish, well worth the money.

Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.