Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
anyone with bodywork experience?
Posted by: rficalora
Date: February 24, 2008 09:00PM

I'm filling he unused holes in the engine bay on my car & have two questions...
First is for the smaller holes that are just filled with weld, can i sand down to even with the sheet metal or should I leave the weld a little thicker -- and if thicker, how much?

Second question is what's the biggest hole that you can fill w/weld?

Thanks,
Rob

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Re: anyone with bodywork experience?
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: February 25, 2008 11:45PM

Hi Rob,

I will be going through the same as you with my TR6 body in the near future.

With small welded holes, I figured that I would use an angle grinder to take down close to surface level, then block sand depending if it's a flat surface. I have used my dremel tool for smaller areas more than I can count using a mini cut off wheel. Then paint primer, using 2 different colors. Paint one color first, let dry, then paint next color. Use wet sand paper(500 grit) with small amount of water and sand the areas, you will see your high spots depending on how technical or what look is acceptable.

On large holes my thoughts would be, make a plug, then weld, do the same as above, grind down, and fine tune for the look that is acceptable.

It will depend on how thick the metal is for how big of hole you can fill. If it seems to hard to fill then plug first with the same thickness of metal your working with, weld the plug in and clean up for best results. If there is rust get it all out first.

These are my thoughts on this subject, sinse it is coming up soon for me.

Maybe somone else can give ideas to fill in where I have'nt.

Cheers! and good luck,

Calvin

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: February 26, 2008 12:28AM

Thanks Calvin, that's pretty consistent with what I expected. I actually already filled & sanded flush about 20 or more holes in the engine bay & then thought i'd double check whether I should be leaving a hair or two thicker (knowing I could smooth with high build primer &/or body putty as required). Responses on another board confirm sanding flush is good. The two colors of primer idea is a great one. thanks for that tip.

Note you can use copper to hold against the back of the hole to make filling easier; that's what i did. I got about a 2' piece of about 1/2" pipe & pounded it flat at on end, then bent that at an angle so I can hold it against the back of the hole like a spoon. It makes the hole easier/faster to fill; the weld doesn't stick to the copper; and clean-up on the back side (if it shows) is easier then too.

General input was it's ok to fill up to about 1/2" holes w/weld; bigger than that most folks recommended making a filler plug.

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: February 26, 2008 09:48AM

Note you can use copper to hold against the back of the hole to make filling easier; that's what i did. I got about a 2' piece of about 1/2" pipe & pounded it flat at on end, then bent that at an angle so I can hold it against the back of the hole like a spoon. It makes the hole easier/faster to fill; the weld doesn't stick to the copper; and clean-up on the back side (if it shows) is easier then too

Great Idea with the copper. I have copper all the time with the business I'm in (Water treatment,Softeners,Reverse Osmosis). By the way, washing cars with soft water is great, and having less spoting issues always helps keeping are cars looking good.

Thanks for the tip.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: February 26, 2008 11:13PM

Hey Calvin, this is off topic, but you might be able to point me to a resource I'm way delinquent in researching... The house we bought a couple of years ago has an RO unit outside & a filter unit under the sink. The under sink filter unit has three "cartridges". The fillament that goes in each is about 3-3 1/2" in diameter. Our local HD & Lowes only stock cartridges that are about 1 1/2" in diameter. Haven't found any local places that have the bigger ones... is there an on-line source somewhere? Or is there a way I can find out what brand this thing is? The only markings are from the company that installed it & they're long out of business. Very frustrating.

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: February 27, 2008 01:17AM

"Yes" Rob I can help you. I have been doing this for almost 20 years.

The best way for me to help you is take several pictures of what you have outside and under the sink. Then I can either get you the filters or I can direct you where to get them. Most of the time you will need to go through a dealer. Alot of times these filter companys only sell to the dealer.

I am a dealer of all sorts of products in filteration, and have tons of connections in the industry, so I will PM you with my e-mail and send some pictures if you can. Get a couple of good pictures of the valve on top for the outside system which is either a softener or some kind of filteration media inside. The inside system is probably your RO(Reverse Osmosis) system under the sink. Take several pictures of that system to.

Also give me some insight of what people around your area complain about with their water problems. This will kind of let me know how the old dealer was treating the water.Filtering water is kind of a science. I see this all the time, here today and gone tomorrow with water treatment companys.

I want you to be happy with your water treatment system.

You do have a digital camera right? And no need to worry how big of a file these are, have 10 meg download here.

PM your way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2008 10:00AM by 74ls1tr6.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: February 27, 2008 08:28AM

Thanks Calvin, I got the PM; will send some pics this evening.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.