Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Flare thoughts again
Posted by: rficalora
Date: April 30, 2008 12:00PM

I mentioned before that I messed up when I had Todd do my IRS -- had him make it too wide. The good news is I have easily 2"-3" more room on the inboard side for wider rubber than my current set-up (15x8; 4.5" backspace; 225/50/15 tires). The bad news is I need a good 3/4-1" more flare than the Omni flares give me. I'd figured this would be the case so it's not a total surprise -- just one I decided I'd deal with later... and it's later now.

I didn't take a pic, but the edge of the side-wall is 3/4" past the edge of the flare. Allowing for the fact that the tire might move out a little when the rear end is aligned, I'm thinking 1" more would be a safer bet.

So now I need to decide what to do.

One option would be to get with Todd to see about taking the 1" (per side) out of the control arms & 1/2 shafts. That may be doable & would be the easiest (for me anyway since i'd be farming out that work). Down side is I'd lose at least an inch of the inboard space that I might want to use for wider wheels/tires later.

Other option is to make the flares wider. Pretty sure I could do that by adding the tin to outboard end -- using the flare itself to help form the curve. Is there an easier way to widen a metal flare?

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Flare thoughts again
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: April 30, 2008 01:51PM

Rob, my sympathies, that will mean a lot more body work, but I'm sure you're up to it. From looking at the Omni flares that I donated I think the best place to add the metal would be just at the break line of the flat edge. This is similar to the way I flared the fenders on my Midget, go ahead and weld the flares to the body, then take a body or saber saw and cut the lip loose just inside the break. You can then add a stip of metal, actually several smaller pieces that you can form to match the slight compound curve necessary and weld them in between. The profile will be a little flater, but it should do fine for no more than an inch or so. Here's a photo of the Midget, the front fenders didn't have any sort of flare or lip on them, so I just cut around 3/4" above the wheel opening, stretched the edge out about 1 1/2" and welded in several sections of sheet metal and finished out with some bondo (more bondo than metal in my case, but that will improve next time.)
side.JPG

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: April 30, 2008 04:41PM

Sounds like what I had in mind Bill... take the lip off & add the extra inch there... I was actually thinking I might add the extra before taking the lip off to help hold the shape, then cut it off afterwards. I need to look again, but I don't think there's a compound curve going on. Pretty sure it's a simple curve that's then tilted at an angle if that makes sense.

Anyway, what'd you do to finish off the outer edge? I've thought about putting the lip back, but the opening will be a little smaller radius once I add to the flare. My other thought is to add about 2". That way I could cut triangular notches in the last inch to turn it down & weld them back together to make the lip... but there must be an easier way.

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: April 30, 2008 05:00PM

Rob, this drawing might explain it better than the photo. In the case of the Midget there was no originial "edge" on the front so I had to cut sideways and use that cut as the "bend" line welding directly to that edge and finishing that weld to form the line. I'd cut the Omni flares just inside the bend line to preserve that and make finishing easier. I'd weld the flairs to the fenders first just to add the bracing and prevent them warping during welding.
Flare.JPG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.