Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

mgv8news
Kurt Kurt

(13 posts)

01/04/2008 12:31PM

Main British Car:

MGA fender flares
Posted by: mgv8news
Date: January 14, 2008 12:12PM

Does anyone know of a supplier for MGA fender flares or for complete fiberglass fenders with incorporated flares?
Thanks!

jblanchard@hcpg.net
Jeb Blanchard
Collierville, TN
(53 posts)

12/07/2007 01:01PM

Main British Car:
1961 MGA Chevy 4.3 Vortec V-6

authors avatar
Re: MGA fender flares
Posted by: jblanchard@hcpg.net
Date: January 16, 2008 11:04AM

Kurt,

I cannot supply information on fiberglass flares. However mine were flared using the original fenders and are all steel. If you like, I can contact my builder and get a price for widening yours. Mine may be considered a little radical. They accept 18X9 5-120 40HGR rear wheels (275/35R 18 tires). Attached are a couple photos.

Jeb
Left rear 121705.jpg
cdBack build booksf.jpg

mgv8news
Kurt Kurt

(13 posts)

01/04/2008 12:31PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgv8news
Date: January 17, 2008 07:14AM

Hi Jeb,
I have seen photos of your car before, great looking MGA! Unfortunately, I am on a budget for this project, (aren't we all?) which can withstand the cost of fiberglass flares and not much more. I am planning on running 245 x 16" tires so will not need a huge flare particularily as the axle will be pretty firmly laterally fixed via a Panhard rod. Thank you very much for your posting!! Hope to see you at V8 2008?
Best Regards,
Kurt

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: January 17, 2008 08:09AM

Kurt, I assume from your posts that you didn't have any luck with Kent Prather having anything you could use. I don't know what abilities you or some of your buddies have but it's beginning to look like metal work may be your best option. I've never seen any MGA other than Jeb's and Kent's with flares, just doesn't seem to be something that's done in most cases. I would think that if you can get some fiberglass fenders then you could widen them pretty easily yourself and get a good finished job. I would do the same with steel fenders as well. Either split the fender and add the widening panel right along the crown like the English V8 car or to the side like Jeb did, either way works out well and looks great. With Jebs car the added panel is at least flat so there's no forming of any compound curves to worry about which you would have if you split them on the crown. If you can butt weld in a patch panel you should be able to do the fenders, just go slow and don't warp anything and you should come out with a nice piece. You could even flange the patch panel and spot weld it in then finish weld the seam to prevent any cracks later. That would allow you to align everything using Clekos or metal screws before welding to check the fit and size.

jblanchard@hcpg.net
Jeb Blanchard
Collierville, TN
(53 posts)

12/07/2007 01:01PM

Main British Car:
1961 MGA Chevy 4.3 Vortec V-6

authors avatar
Posted by: jblanchard@hcpg.net
Date: January 17, 2008 04:53PM

Kurt/Bill

Here are some photos of an MG that were posted on ebay approx three years ago. The flares appear to be fiber glass. As an aside, I'm putting a new front end on my car and I have a couple wheel adapters that move the wheels out. They bolt on to the orginal lugs and change the pattern from the 4 bolt MGA to a ford pattern. The front wheels are 18X8 5-100 40HGR front wheels (215/35R 18 tires).

Jeb

mgav8_wheel1.jpg
mgav8_show1.jpg
mgav8_rghtrear.jpg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.