Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Phillip G
Phillip Leonard
Kansas City
(395 posts)

02/03/2008 04:12PM

Main British Car:
1992 MG RV8 Rover 3.5

Wraping
Posted by: Phillip G
Date: March 24, 2009 09:23PM

Looks like the new way to to paint a race car is not to paint it, but to wrap it.

Wraping appears to be a better way to add all the messages and insignia required by the racing sanctioning body (SCCA).

Some basic paint covering/powder coating of the finished chassis is all really needed before the computer generated wraping artwork is applied to the race car.

Wraping/computer graphics designers and applicators are now getting all the great visual art work jobs found on race cars.

Question to the V8 Forum members .....

Anybody have experiences with these new race car "wraping" artists ?

Phillip G

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Wraping
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 24, 2009 11:05PM

Not directly, but I have looked at a bunch of wrapped vehicles. There's a place near me that does it. Thought about doing my car that way so i could change it every few years, but probably going to go the traditional paint route.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: March 25, 2009 08:32AM

Hi Phil, good to hear from you again. As you know the Prather's have their cars wrapped now, one of their sponsors and customers is in the business. I took a pretty good look at them last fall and they are really neat. Nice part of the package is the ability to replace a section such as on a fender if you have a shunt. Just reprint that area and apply. I hear it's pretty expensive though. You still have to paint the base, but probably not quite as well as you would without the wrap, so that much is a wash, so the real comparison would be for what the custom work would cost to do manually. In that case it's no contest, the wrap is so much less expensive for a real custom look.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 25, 2009 02:15PM

There are different qualities or "resolutions". Some have a newsprint look where you can see the spots that make up the picture or graphic. Others are pretty much photo quality. I saw one that i thought was painted in ghost flames till I talked with the guy & found out it was a wrap. The photo quality ones are 2-4x cost at the place by me that does it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.