Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Flare progress
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 14, 2008 11:04PM

Finally made some good progress on getting my flares installed...

The Omni flares give about 2" depending on where you install them... unfortunately, the IRS on my car is about 2" wider than I'd intended so I needed closer to 3" of flare on each side... My first attempt didn't work very well. I tried to fan cut the flare. It worked ok when viewed from the side of the car, but from the back it didn't angle down enough -- too flat -- and it was sort of flat across the outer edge & abruptly angled back...
2008-11-14 Omni Flare Install (2).jpg
2008-11-14 Omni Flare Install (3).jpg

So, I tried another approach & it worked way better. I used construction paper to extend the flares & then cut & shaped some sheet metal using the construction paper as a guide. Both flares are tacked on now & they look way better IMO:
2008-11-14 Omni Flare Install (6).jpg
2008-11-14 Omni Flare Install (12).jpg

I still have to do the left side front flare, but should be able to get that done tomorrow.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Flare progress
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 15, 2008 12:59PM

It looks pretty good Rob. I'm sorry I didn't get you that measurement you asked for, I keep forgetting to do it.. But I like your new approach, it's almost like a hybrid between the simple Omni job and the full-on custom hand fabricated flare I built for mine. Much easier to do and very attractive IMO.

Jim

WernerVC
Werner Van Clapdurp
Lynchburg, Va
(108 posts)

09/06/2009 12:56PM

Main British Car:
MGB 1977 Rover 3.5

Posted by: WernerVC
Date: September 10, 2009 03:05PM

Hi Rob,
Nice work on the oni flares. Can you give me more details or info on where to start this project. How did you determine how much to cut from the fenders from an Omni to get the "flares" Can you elaborate on using construction paper as a templae?
I am in the process of a ground up restoration of my 77 RB , rusty fenders and door sills. Would like to incorporate the flares as well. What kind of IRS did you use? I have been contemplating for a few years now on doing this conversion too. Jaguar IRS looks too complicated to me with the rotors on the inside and drive shafts with universal joints.
I loike the John hoyle IRS but is $$$.
I do have his front coil over suspension.
Why is your IRS wider than anticipated and how much wider than standard?
I was thinking on using the Miata IRS in some way. I do have a Ford Merkur (Sierra in Europe) diff already.
Sorry for all these questions but better have all the answers before beginning on such an important task.
I also want the strips between rear fender and body eliminated and smooth out this corner. I have e set of RV* rear lights that I will install in the rear wings but they are anout 1.5 inch wider than the original "B" lights so I need to widen the hole in the rear fender. These RV8 lights incorporate white back up lights and look much better IMO.
Here a pic from the real RV8 rear.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: January 18, 2010 06:45PM

Hi Rex, thanks. It took some trial & error but the flares took shape once I quit trying to make them fit my wider rear suspension without modifying them. The car is at a body shop where they're doing some things I couldn't -- fixing a warp I introduced to the cowl when I got it too hot while grafting an early cowl to it (so I could use a metal dash) & installing the rear valance (fiberglass) with a recessed license plate and then painting it. I also left some of the welds for them to grind down -- got to the point I wanted the car done & it's just time consuming do grind all the welds smooth in prep for paint. Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of the flares now that the welds are ground down & it's in primer...
2009-11-28 Body work progress @ Masters Paint and Upholstery (4).jpg2009-12-11 Body work progress @ Masters Paint & Upholstery (3).JPG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.