Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

73GT
Anthony Pregent
Northern Virginia
(7 posts)

03/27/2010 11:47AM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB GT OE

Lift supports for hood and hatch
Posted by: 73GT
Date: March 27, 2010 02:35PM

Hello all,
I've finally gotten a 1973 MGB GT and I'm looking to install hydraulic/pneumatic lift supports for both the bonnet and the hatch. Has anyone completed this conversion outside of buying a kit? I know that the ball mounts are available from some local parts stores and I know that I can get any type of lift support necessary. I'm capable of doing the leg work but didn't figure it would hurt to see if someone has already done it and could save me some time. Thanks for any help you can furnish.
Tony

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Lift supports for hood and hatch
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: March 27, 2010 08:54PM

Tony, Rick Ingram has done all of the leg work on this one and sells the kit with instructions for a very reasonable price, about what it would cost you to go out and buy the struts. Most us us just buy the kit from him, as he's one of us and a well liked member of the group. Do a search for "Pieces of Eight".

JB

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: March 27, 2010 10:52PM

Anthony, I agree totally with Jim, just get in touch with Rick at Pieces of Eight. There are about a thousand different combinations of strut pressure, length , spring rates, etc and each one will run you around $25 to $30 from any of the industrial distributors, I know I use these at my job. Get it wrong and at best you've wasted some money, at worst you fold the bonnet or it or the hatch comes down on your head. Rick's already done the engineering and his prices are very reasonable for a kit that will bolt on with just the drilling of a couple of holes. I helped install both his bonnet and deck struts on the Roadmaster GT and it was easy and they worked great.

73GT
Anthony Pregent
Northern Virginia
(7 posts)

03/27/2010 11:47AM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB GT OE

Posted by: 73GT
Date: March 28, 2010 12:00PM

Bill and JB,
Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought about the potential damage and didn't realize that a member of the group had done all the leg work. I guess it's time to save up my allowance and talk to the chief financial officer (read as wife). Again, I appreciate the help. Looking forward to picking your brains again in the future.
Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.