Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

mindseye
John Csuhany
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
(76 posts)

11/18/2009 11:40AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB 1962 Buick 215 cu. in.

authors avatar
MGB seat conversions?
Posted by: mindseye
Date: December 15, 2009 01:26PM

Like to hear about any different seat installs other than fiero or miata....I been looking at my seats in a astro van I own and am thinking they would be a perfect fit with the folding arms removed, what have other guys done?....find the stock seats pretty uncomfortable on long cruises

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: MGB seat conversions?
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: December 15, 2009 02:48PM

John, I looked at a lot of seats for my Midget (seat size is nearly the same as a B) and found that most seats which might be narrow enough were too thick in the bottom cushion and would place your head through the top or nearly so. There are very few seats that are thin enough on the bottom to allow seat mounting and adjustment while not placing the driver too high. I wound up with some seats from a Nissan Pulsar which is a pretty small car to start with and had to cut almost 2" from the bottom foam and seat pan and bolt them solidly to the floor to even begin to get me down to around the original height. If you're under around 5'10" then you would have room for a thicker seat, but any taller than that and you need to be careful.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 15, 2009 06:19PM

I like seats with detachable headrests. IMHO, integral headrests usually look more modern than the rest of the car, and also a big consideration for me is how the seat works with dual shoulder harnesses. One of the good things about a stock MGB seat is that its single-column headrest mounting doesn't get in the way of shoulder straps.

So... last year I picked up a single BMW "E3" seat from a local junkyard for $15 just to see if I could make it work.

BMW's black leather upholstery is so very classy, and everything about the seat was highest quality. I cut and I cut. I removed the sliders and all the bottom bolster tilt, extension, and height adjustment features. I managed to get the seat to fit in my GT, even with my roll cage! Then I sat in it. As Bill said, the bottom bolster was too tall even with the foam bottoming out on the floorboard - and since the foam was bottoming out it wasn't very comfortable anymore anyhow! It was especially frustrating, because the seat looked so handsome sitting in there.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: December 15, 2009 07:26PM

I checked Solstace / Sky seats. They're narrow enough but the back is about 4" too tall -- taller than the windshield frame.

I know you're looking for options other than Miata & Fiero, but I'm going with my Miata seats & having them done with slots for a 4-pt harness by Mr. Mikes.

mindseye
John Csuhany
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
(76 posts)

11/18/2009 11:40AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB 1962 Buick 215 cu. in.

authors avatar
Posted by: mindseye
Date: December 16, 2009 09:33PM

Hmmmm....thnx, looks like it would be a hell of alot less frustrating just buying a new foam/diaphragm kit, the posts I have read on miata installs looks like the job from hell, but they are sure comfy

Merv
Merv Hagen
IL
(104 posts)

05/21/2008 05:48PM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB Buick 215 T-5 Trans

Posted by: Merv
Date: December 17, 2009 08:30PM

I for one happen to think that the stock 1980 MGB seats are quite good on long trips.

My wife & I did a weeklong 4500 mile route 66 run in 2008 and EVEN My wife commented on how good a traveling car the MG was.
Between British V8 and MG2009 this year, I put on 8,456 miles and I thought seats were very comfortable and I have a back and a butt that never hesitate to remind me if the seats are not comfortable.

I have had a lot of cars, over the years, but I really think that except for my C5 Corvette, My MG with stock seats is one of the most comfortable LONG distance vehicles that I have had.

I haven't really driven any distance with the Miata or Fiero seats, so maybe I am missing something.

Merv

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 22, 2009 05:16PM

I modified a set of leather Mercury Marauder swap meet seats and like them pretty well.
[www.britishv8.org]
bottom 1/4 of the page.

Jim

Dave
David Gable
Jax
(112 posts)

10/23/2007 05:40AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Dave
Date: January 07, 2011 07:33PM

Some old pics...........A junkyard C4 seat sitting directly on the floor for test fitting compared to a Miata seat which is too tall in the cushion and too narrow for me. The C4 seat back rake adjuster is located under the front of the cushion. I find them very comfortable and low plus the head rests are lower than Miatas or Fieros. They are also very, very light.
kdk_2472_rsz.jpg
kdk_2471_rsz.jpg
kdk_2454_rsz.jpg

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: January 15, 2011 10:01PM

HUMMMM!, David, I like that and I'd like to hear some more on the final fitting. Is it in there with the seat tracks on?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.