Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

MV8
Steve Johnson
Atlanta, GA
(6 posts)

04/30/2012 06:46PM

Main British Car:
1977 Spitfire 2.8L v6 and T5

77 spit windshield header to top problem
Posted by: MV8
Date: May 01, 2012 05:53PM

Note the gap between the hard top and the windshied header. There are shiny metal caps on each end of the header, but nothing in the middle. The metal in the middle also looks slightly concave. Am I correct in asuming that the shiny cap is supposed to be one piece that goes all the way across the header, with a groove for the hard top to fit against?

Any pics as to how this area should look on a late 70s spit would be appreciated.
IMG_0599.jpg
IMG_0600.jpg

Graham B
Graham Bingham
Draycott, Derbyshire, UK
(63 posts)

09/19/2008 08:26AM

Main British Car:
1974 Triumph Spitfire Rover 3.5litre V8

Re: 77 spit windshield header to top problem
Posted by: Graham B
Date: May 09, 2012 09:30AM

Hi Steve,

It looks like someone has butchered your screen capping. It should be one piece.
spitfire1500_body fittings Canley.jpg

It is part 911106 in the above diagram.

You can see mine in the photo below
PICT1788.JPG

Hope this helps

Graham

Spitfire 350
Phil McConnell
Perrysburg, OH (Toledo area)
(257 posts)

01/11/2010 09:19PM

Main British Car:
74 Spitfire 350Chevy

authors avatar
Re: 77 spit windshield header to top problem
Posted by: Spitfire 350
Date: May 11, 2012 09:54PM

Steve,
I think Graham is correct, I happen to have an extra windshield top cap (header) that we could maybe make a deal on. You can mount the top without the header if you are just fitting it up. Make sure you have all of the spacers and correct bolts to mount the top. The Victoria British catalog shows the parts you need. I installed my top without the spacers and put a real nice pimple in the otherwise perfect hardtop. I spent a few hours getting the dent out and ready for paint. I found it best to start the windshield header bolts first, snug the top down on the header and then bolt the rear down. I was amazed at how much the windshield could move. Hope this is helpful

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2012 10:00PM by Spitfire 350.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.