Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

curtde
Curt DeRosia
West Point, Ca
(3 posts)

08/07/2014 03:28PM

Main British Car:
1975 MGB Buick 215

Fiero seats in MGB
Posted by: curtde
Date: March 16, 2015 04:11PM

I've gone thru the process of finding and recovering a set of Fiero seats. Now that I'm trying to install them I've found that they will only drop down and sit on the floorboard about 4 inches in front of the back wall. If I try and move it back as far as the original seats the backrest mounting bolt hits the side frame and raises the seat about an inch. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Any solutions other than cutting body parts. The cars not mine. Don't want to add a spacer below as I need the seat to be low in order to see out windshield.
Pictures show bolt and how far forward seat is in order to be on floor. The original seat is the drivers side and Fiero is in the passenger side
I got a pretty good color match so really don't want to sell these and start over.
Thanks for any help

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Fiero seats in MGB
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: March 17, 2015 04:09PM

I have seen a number of RB MGs with Fiero seats, even driven Mike Moor's many times. Usually they are installed swapped side to side.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: March 17, 2015 08:15PM

Carl, he does have the seats swapped....Fiero Driver to MGB passenger.

Kurt...are you attempting to use the captive nuts in the floorpan of the MGB or have you relocated the seat back (to clear the crossmember) and drilled new holes?

The first two pictures are of my seats using new holes. The yellow dots on the mat show where I drilled new holes...you can see the original mounting position in the mat in the first picture. The second picture shows the location of the seat as mounted.

Floor pan holes.jpg

Floor pan holes - Passenger seat location.jpg

These pictures are of the Fiero seats as mounted in the Roadmaster. If I remember correctly, we used the stock captive nuts and welded a plate on the front legs to utilize the factory captive nuts in the floorpan. First picture is of the passenger seat. Second picture is of the driver seat, fully moved back.

Passenger seat location - maximum rear.jpg

Driver Seat Location Maximum Rear.jpg

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: March 17, 2015 08:36PM

Did you slide the seat all the way back on the rail...then place the seat in the car to see what the best position would be for your needs?

Do you REALLY need that much leg room? I drive with the seat fairly far back...based on each car how extended my left leg is when operating the clutch.

DonB
Don Bonar
Prairie Village, KS
(80 posts)

09/09/2011 10:06AM

Main British Car:
1971 MG-B 95 GM 3.4 V-6

Posted by: DonB
Date: March 19, 2015 11:59AM

I mounted mine with 4 new reinforced holes... after swaping the left/right. I also removed the plastic housings around the seat back adjustment lever and replaced with leather loops provided by Mr. Mike when I purchased the covers. This buys you valuable inches.

I mounted by pushing the seats as far back on the rails as possible then marking the locations for the new holes... again with reinforced plates for strength under the floor.

Additionally, I added heavy 3/4" nylon spacers between two washers under the front mountings to change the "seat rake" angle and give me more support under my thighs... while slightly reducing head clearance. By bringing the knees up slightly and back dropped back one notch, I found it more comfortable than mounting Flat on the floor.

I'm 6'4" 235 and actually drive with the seats slightly less than full back.

Bones

Charles
Charles Long
McDonald, TN
(177 posts)

09/15/2013 08:54AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB V6 1994 Camaro 3.4L 60V6

authors avatar
Posted by: Charles
Date: April 09, 2015 10:26PM

Kurt, I have my Feiro seats swapped right/left in a 66 B. They will almost go to far back, I can sit with feet crossed to the left of clutch. I set the seat forward and tilt the back to the rear I may have modified the rails, will look.
The rails from 95-98 Camaro will fit The Ferio seat but sit higher. The Camaro driver frame has an up/down tilt in front.
charles

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.