Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

jblanchard@hcpg.net
Jeb Blanchard
Collierville, TN
(53 posts)

12/07/2007 01:01PM

Main British Car:
1961 MGA Chevy 4.3 Vortec V-6

authors avatar
Haunted MG
Posted by: jblanchard@hcpg.net
Date: May 24, 2017 11:57AM

My wife and I took the "A" out for a drive and I parked it in my garage facing my custom trailer. I put the car in reverse, switched off the distributor, the fuel pump (separate switches) turned off the key which simply unlocks the steering column and provides power to the Dakota dash.

A couple hours later entered the garage and the car had moved forward (incline of garage is to rear) and had impacted the trailer and shoved it sideways into the wall. I pushed in the clutch for the car to coast backwards and the car started on it's own. It ran for about a minute until the carb was starved for fuel. The engine died but the starter continued to turn. I could do nothing to cut power. None of the toggle switches responded and after a few minutes the battery was depleted.

The day before I'd replaced the alternator and ran a heavier gauge wire to the starter. The car was on a rack and the wiring was properly connected.

WTF

Any ideas?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Haunted MG
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 24, 2017 04:21PM

Definitely haunted. Pretty standard for British though.

Jim

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1364 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: May 24, 2017 09:55PM

Here's a WAG for yah Jeb.

The battery or power lead to the starter bolts onto the solenoid very close to the start lead. Possibly it moved enough to energize the starter. On systems that use a ballast resistor for the ignition, the starter bypasses the resistor when cranking. This supplies full power to the ignition while the starter operates. Which would allow the car to run with the ignition switch off.

Other than that it was probably just caused by FM.

Live like you mean it.
Fred

billymgb1000
bill gaulin
harrisville R.I.
(74 posts)

11/30/2012 12:31AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB V8 LS1 5.3

Posted by: billymgb1000
Date: May 26, 2017 04:42AM

Hello Jeb, I had something like that happen to me she would just start turning over and not stop till the battery was dead or I pulled the lead off. Now mine is a chevy ls small block but it turned out to be the solenoid on the new starter. hope you figure it out soon good luck.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 26, 2017 10:38AM

Fred's scenario sounds the most likely, since as you say it was stopped and doing nothing abnormal. Electrical problems tend to be very logical in nature, either on or off. Something is making the connection. Look closely at your starter circuit, something there is allowing current to pass.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.