Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

NCtim
Tim Shumbera
Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

01/19/2012 04:35PM

Main British Car:

Turn Signals
Posted by: NCtim
Date: May 14, 2018 05:30PM

Does anyone know where I might source front turn signal lights such as these?
MGBV8.jpg

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Re: Turn Signals
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: May 14, 2018 06:38PM

Those look full custom but possible early mustang fogs might do?
The bumper even has a mustang flair.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 14, 2018 09:00PM

I agree with Fred, the turn signals look fully custom. Hard to tell because the pic gets grainy when I blow it up to see, but they look to be set back where the lens would be behind a chrome finisher.

I like the concept, although I'd probably lose the hood scoop and thin down the front bumper.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: May 14, 2018 10:00PM

Interesting concept...but those wipers are never going to work!

NCtim
Tim Shumbera
Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 15, 2018 03:42PM

I think the design, as a whole, is pretty angular. I do like the signal lamp concept. I toyed with the idea of late 60s GTO lamps but when I held one up to the grill they're so huge looking in comparison to the features of the MGB.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 15, 2018 05:06PM

It's a good idea to think carefully before making changes to the body that alter or remove the traditional MGB styling cues. At one time we would do that to create something different but now, 38 years after the last MGB was made, they already are different. Enough so that they are becoming sort of exotic. Nobody knows what they are anymore. So the uniqueness is already there and the need to personalize is largely gone.

Changes for practical or performance reasons can usually be done while retaining those cues that identify the car, and this makes it much more likely the car will be properly identified rather than referred to as a kit car or a Porsche. I've experienced both even though all or most styling cues were still in place, but major alterations make it much more likely.

Jim

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: May 15, 2018 06:17PM

"Changes for practical or performance reasons can usually be done while retaining those cues that identify the car,"

Totally agree. Nobody under 30 knows what an MGB is so at least let the silver backs have a chance to recognize the car.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 15, 2018 08:21PM

Not sure I'm following you guys. I still clearly see MGB. Anyone who didn't recognize it as a B wouldn't know the difference between it and an unmodified one. And anyone who did would clearly recobnize it's roots. What am I missing?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 16, 2018 01:51AM

Well, that's an artist's rendition. To duplicate it you'd have to change virtually everything about the car so it probably would not be done. Almost all of the contours are off in subtle ways, and the front end treatment has very little in common with any MGB, same for the hood lines. All I'm saying is that the further you take it the less it will be recognized. Which is fine if that is the builder's intention, but having driven one of those for a few years I can tell you that it gets old having to explain that it isn't a Porsche.

Jim

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 16, 2018 11:32AM

...but those wipers are never going to work!

Being RHD, they will do. They do need to be closer together.

having driven one of those for a few years I can tell you that it gets old having to explain that it isn't a Porsche.

Must be that whale tail. ;)

bsa_m21
Martin Rothman
Vancouver, Canada
(216 posts)

01/06/2009 11:41AM

Main British Car:
1980 TR7V8 Rover 3.9L

authors avatar
Posted by: bsa_m21
Date: May 16, 2018 03:47PM

Like the others have said, this is a rendering, a drawing, not an actual car.

From the zolland design web site:
"We also do visualisations of products and houses/buildings in a photorealistic manner."

Here is another version of the B.

r21.jpg

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 16, 2018 05:46PM

No Carl, actually it was the MK-I tilt hood design that did it for me. After that I went back to traditional MGB styling. (Though there was one interrim fiberglass design, the Mk-II that was based on the T series. That on didn't last long.)

Jim

NCtim
Tim Shumbera
Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 16, 2018 07:24PM

"It's a good idea to think carefully before making changes to the body that alter or remove the traditional MGB styling cues."

Gosh Jim, you of all people I thought would embrace this, and maybe Stabe? so here's another idea to chew on.
Cougar SIgnals.jpg

40indianss
don foote

(83 posts)

08/01/2013 04:35PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: 40indianss
Date: May 17, 2018 10:53PM

Speedway could have something that appeals to your taste or check motorcycle aftermarket catalog (j&p) or eBay. Harley softail heritage turn signals would be about the right size for this grill modification

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 18, 2018 12:25PM

Tim, I do approve of mods that aesthetically improve the looks of the car, but I don't think mods that take it farther from recognition as an MGB are a particularly great idea. So for instance when an artist puts a crease down the hood I don't think that's better.

Jim

NCtim
Tim Shumbera
Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 18, 2018 04:31PM

Yeah Jim,

The crease on the hood was one thing that threw me. Totally not in keeping with the original design concept. I don't care for the monster flares either. I've always been a fan Graham's car, keeping it all under the original body work.

Tim

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: June 03, 2018 01:47PM

Tim - I'll be the last one to tell someone not to make changes to their car unless it is a desirable, low number classic that will lose its value. Many of the decisions I made on my car created more work for me because I wanted to retain recognizability to the original. ("Recognizability" will surely be included in the next update to Webster's dictionary). I could have made split bumpers but chose to maintain the look of the early chrome bumpers although I did take some liberty with removing the mounting bolts and with the finish. It would have been much easier to remove them entirely but where's the fun in that.

I feel the same way about stuck on fender flares. It's much harder to include large wheels and tires within the bodywork than to build a patio cover over the top of what sticks out. I think the stepped body line that runs from headlight to taillight is a signature styling cue of the MGB so I worked very hard to maintain it even though the rear fenders are bulged out 1 1/2" beyond stock

Same story with hood bulges or scoops because, to me, it points out that the builder didn't work hard enough to integrate the engine into the vehicle. If a bulge is done for styling reasons and not to cover up some protruding engine part I'm OK with that but that is rarely the reason.

The grille surround is another signature item that could have easily been replaced with a piece of expanded metal. The first attempt duplicated the height of the arc in the top bar of the stock grille surround but it looked out of proportion due to the additional width. I had to remake the top bar with additional height in the arc to match the proportions of the stock grille.

I could have cut off the stock windshield posts and stuck in a piece of Plexiglas but then everyone would look at that and know immediately that the car was cut up. The new windshield has a loose resemblance to a stock one: it is the same height as stock and has a full frame around the glass but it is leaned back 14 degrees from stock - most people don't even notice.

The best comment I got was from a guy who showed a picture of the car to his wife who owns an MGB and told her that he thought the car had been widened. She responded to him " No it hasn't". A lot of people comment that they had one "just like it in college" .Most people at car shows walk right by and don't really notice. Thank goodness for the few that stop to look and just keep noticing the work that has been done.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.