Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

08/18/2009 01:16AM

Main British Car:
1980 TR7 performance 4 cyl

Planning to weld... Do I have to remove gas tank?
Posted by: TRip
Date: September 26, 2010 12:06AM

Hi everyone, I'm now looking for a good used gas MIG welder in my area. I'm planning on learning how to weld and then will work on removing rust and welding new pieces on my TR7.

Can anyone tell me if it's safe to weld with the fuel tank in place OR, will it be better to remove the tank from the car?

Trip

J Man
jason adkins
NW OH
(202 posts)

01/21/2009 08:49PM

Main British Car:
'61 Morris Minor panel, '70 MGB GT, '74 MGB GT MGB 1.8, unsure yet on the GTs

Re: Planning to weld... Do I have to remove gas tank?
Posted by: J Man
Date: April 01, 2011 08:11PM

I would say it all depends on what part of the car you are welding on. If you are doing it in a area where sparks can come in direct contact with the tank I would say remove it

bsa_m21
Martin Rothman
Vancouver, Canada
(216 posts)

01/06/2009 11:41AM

Main British Car:
1980 TR7V8 Rover 3.9L

authors avatar
Posted by: bsa_m21
Date: April 03, 2011 07:05PM

Trip,

The problem is gas fumes, not liquid gas. Liquid gas burns. Gas fumes explode. I've seen gas tanks that look more like a balloon, because of a spark near an "empty tank" caused it to go boom.

Old timers have told me many times, fill the tank BEFORE you start welding and make sure to seal the filler spout. I've seen them weld quite close to the tank without any worries. However, to be extra safe, as an alternative you might want to remove it..... :)

Re learning to weld. I'd suggest you buy a bunch of scrap, dirty, rusty, thin sheet metal to practice your welding on. Any idiot can weld clean new metal, but it takes skill to weld old stuff . . . . and that TR7 is going to have lots of dirt, rust, paint, bondo, etc to clean off before you weld, so you might as well learn from the start. :) You should buy some thin 100% brass plate. Brass melts at a higher temp than steel and weld won't stick to it. You use it behind thin metal when you weld it, to absorb heat and help prevent blow-throughs. It can be bent to most shapes to lie flat against the metal with no air gaps. Hold in place with clamps or big welding magnets along the edge. Works like a charm.

Also, when you buy/rent gas for the mig welder, tell them that you need a mix for body work welding. I don't remember the exact mix, but it helps to reduce splatter.

Having just about finished the repairs to my TR7 shell, in my experience, the biggest worry you will have is blowing holes through rust weakened metal. Also, remember, where there's rust, there's gonna be more rust. And, just when you think you've got rid of it, you will find more rust. And lastly, if there is rust on one side, there likely is rust on the other side. Fixing one side and putting down lovely paint, only to see it bubble and rust through in a year, is no fun at all.

Ah, the joys of old British cars...

Enjoy.

M.

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

12/04/2009 07:42AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: tr8todd
Date: April 07, 2011 08:10AM

No you don't have to pull the tank. Your biggest concern should be the other materials on the car that will catch on fire. That undercoating burns real nice, and so does the carpet and interior panels. If you do catch the undercoating on fire, don't make the mistake of putting it out with your hand. If your going to weld in a garage, make sure you can push the burning car out of the garage in a hurry. If you need any patch panels cut from a parts car, give me a shout.

rampant racing
gary fraser
sarnia ont,canada
(83 posts)

03/28/2009 02:45AM

Main British Car:
69 spitfiremk111 ford 347 stroker

Posted by: rampant racing
Date: April 12, 2011 06:33AM

here's an idea.why not remove the tank and avoid the need to push the car out of the garage real fast.also how about having a fire extinguisher handy?and a bucket of water or a hose.just a thought.if your welding at the front of the car then fine leave it and be cautious and cover it with a fire blanket.if welding near the tank remove it.just common sence.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.