Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Tube bending greater than 90*
Posted by: rficalora
Date: October 31, 2010 11:54AM

Once I get my car on the road (& it is getting closer even though I've not been posting updates), I want to add a dual hump roll bar similar in looks to the Miata ones. Goal would be to make it so ifor it to actually provide some protection which means making vs modifying a miata one I think. I've been looking at the hydraulic tube benders from places like Eastwood, Northern tool, etc. (the kind that have a hand operated hydraulic cylinder that applies pressure against the tube dies) & they all seem to have a limit of 90* bends.

I know I can have the tube bent somewhere & may do that because it may be less expensive than buying the bender, but I'm curious if there are some creative ways to make the top bends without an expensive bender. Any ideas?

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

07/06/2008 08:07AM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 Litre Rover V8

authors avatar
Re: Tube bending greater than 90*
Posted by: WedgeWorks1
Date: October 31, 2010 05:00PM

go to:

[www.jd2.com]

They can bend up to 180 degrees.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 31, 2010 08:12PM

that would work and it loks like a good price for a heavy duty bender. But, $500-650 is more than I want to spend for the couple of bends. I am hoping someone will have a way to do it using one of the inexpensive bottle jack style benders. I probably need to just take the tube to a shop and let them do the bends... Was just curious if there was a tecnique to get more out of a 90* bender.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: November 02, 2010 12:50PM

When you add up the cost of a bender plus the time & materials you might as well spring for the Boss Frog.

[www.bossfrog.biz]

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: November 02, 2010 03:24PM

Hey Rob,

Your problem is you're trying to bend tubing in a pipe bender. Pipe has a much thicker wall and measures by id. vs tubings od. so you never get a die that fits perfectly onto tubing. Also pipe is thick enough to self support when it bends, up to a point.
You can work around this to a degree by tightly packing your tubing full of sand and capping the ends (welding) The tubing will now self support and tolerate a much tighter bend. It won't be perfect due to the limitations of a pipe bender but it might be close enough.
Another option is to shop the truck wrecking yards. They are full of old brush bars and roll bars that have the bends you need. Just cut them up and weld back together as needed and away you go. You might even luck out and get some chrome in the right spot.
A third option is to make friends with a muffler shop. If they have a mandrel machine they can bend your tubing (not exh tubing) to what ever shape. Again not perfect but close.
Lastly I have a tubing bender with 1-1/2 through 3" dies and would be happy to bend something for you but I'm on the west coast of Canada.
Someone closer might be better.

Cheers
Fred

rickv
Rick Vandenberg
Arvada, Colorado
(13 posts)

12/31/2010 12:26PM

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph TR6 Chevrolet 350

Posted by: rickv
Date: February 02, 2011 09:47PM

I thought I was the only person that filled a tube with sand and capped the ends!

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: February 03, 2011 01:38AM

Hey Rick,

This time of year in Canada we even get away with frozen water in the tubing. (works really well)
But I see we've been lending the states some of our weather this year so you might be able to do this too!
Just talk to Chris in Salmon Arm. That's where they make the cold.

Cheers
Fred

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 01:41AM by DiDueColpi.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: February 03, 2011 02:37AM

Fred - you've lent me some great knowlege but I'm not too happy about the weather sharing -- just got waken up here in Palo Alto CA by a text message from Continental Airlines -- apparently the weather you sent south just caused my return flight at noon tomorrow to be cancelled. Good news is I got the text so I was able to get one of the last seats out on a 6am flight in the morning. Feel sorry for the rest of the folks who won't know they're not flying out till tomorrow!

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: February 03, 2011 02:58AM

Don't blame me Rob,
Talk to Chris.
I think it started when his wife had to park outside.

Cheers
Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.