Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Fiberglass Decklid?
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: December 28, 2010 04:11PM

For MGB roadster. Title pretty much says it all. I've searched recent threads, scoured the Internet but haven't been able to turn anything up. Know I saw something, somewhere. If anyone has any information on possible sources, I would appreciate hearing about them. Thanks.

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

12/04/2009 07:42AM

Main British Car:

Re: Fiberglass Decklid?
Posted by: tr8todd
Date: January 03, 2011 02:21PM

I made my own by using the old deck lid as a mold. I used some spray glue to attach a plastic trash bag to the deck lid.(Bag acts as a great mold release) Then I laid the fiberglass on top of the bag till I got the desired thickness. A little sanding and some body filler netted a great lightweight decklid for around $30 in materials. Make sure you leave it on the old decklid until it's fully cured, or it will warp. If you want extra stiffness, lay in some fiberglass over foam strips or half paper towel rolls on the back. Came out so well I made a spare. It still sits on the old deck lid unfinished 5 years later.
DSC01960.jpg

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: January 03, 2011 05:43PM

Nice looking work. Unfortunately, weather here in the Northeast is not very conducive right now to laying up glass, otherwise...

Dave Craddock came to my rescue with a fairly priced race skin. While not as attractively prices as your project, it met my need in the timescale I was looking for.

DT

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

12/04/2009 07:42AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: tr8todd
Date: January 03, 2011 06:06PM

Yea it's cold around here in the winter. For the last week or so I have been welding in floors in my buddies Stag. I have to keep the doors open so as not to breath too many fumes. Aside from my sweatshirt catching on fire as splatter drops onto me, it's pretty cold work. Last time I laid up Fiberglass in the winter, it took days to cure. If I have to make up small stuff, I'll put it in a box and cover it with blankets to help preserve some of the heat it generates while curing.

Preform Resources
Dave Craddock
Redford,Michigan
(359 posts)

12/20/2008 05:46PM

Main British Car:
72 MGB V6 3.4

Posted by: Preform Resources
Date: January 03, 2011 07:02PM

Actually, while it may be fun to do your own projects, most of the time the cost and work involved is not worth it,
however some guys love a challenge god bless em! Happy New Year everybody!!
Dave Craddock

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: January 03, 2011 08:58PM

"Aside from my sweatshirt catching on fire as splatter drops onto me, it's pretty cold work."

Hard way to stay warm! But I know the feeling. Even with the heater on in the garage it will still only bring the temp up to the mid-30s, I'm only good for about 20-30 minutes at a time before I need to warm up. It means planning the work in small increments, but it gets things done. Thanks for showing your deck lid. Nice work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.