Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Mysterious photo...
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 01, 2008 04:08PM

Can you tell what this is?

Built-In-Toolbox.jpg

It's "step-one" of a long overdue remodeling project. I'm not sure what "step-two" will be just yet...

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Mysterious photo...
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: April 01, 2008 04:18PM

Well, it looks like a long metal box with 4 Dzus fasteners on the top. You've welded it to the floor pan, but not completely, so I would assume that the box is not open to the bottom of the car for access to something like shock mounts or such. Not deep enough to be a new battery box. I guess it's time for a SWAG. Storage compartment for jack, lug wrench and other necessary road tools. What ever it is Curtis, it's nice workmanship. I like the step on the side, looks like it would support a new rear floor panel to add some additional hidden storage and make a flat load space for a little extra utility.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Mysterious photo...
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 28, 2008 02:50PM

Okay Bill, I've kept you waiting long enough for a reply. Yes, it's a built-in toolbox!

I thought I'd be much further along with this stuff by now, and that I'd have follow-up photos to post - but other projects/commitments keep popping up.

I got tired of my old toolbox sliding around, and decided to replace it with a built-in toolbox. It's a simple and inexpensive design - just a rear wall and a lid. The front wall was provided by MG. I used to stow my old toolbox under the hinged plywood lid... but I'll eliminate that lid and save about sixteen pounds! The built-in toolbox is narrow, but my scissors-type jack will just fit inside it (or the jack can go in one of the cubbies behind the taillights.)

My plan is to frame-in a second lightweight cargo box forward of this toolbox, overtop the battery compartments, specifically for safely stowing my removable (rear) side windows when they're removed for ventilation. (You can just see the windows in their black sewn cloth cover in the photo above.) I hope to ultimately sew a vinyl tonneau cover that can be snapped-in to cover all the cargo space from the seats rearward. The forward cargo box will give me a nice flat frame to mount the snaps on, so that the tonneau cover can be a simple taught rectangle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.