Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

crashbash
david bash
st. charles
(215 posts)

01/28/2008 10:53AM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Rdst V8 project, 1968 MGC GT, 1969 MGB Rd olds 215

removable steering wheel?
Posted by: crashbash
Date: May 05, 2011 12:51PM

I want to add a removable steering wheel to my MGB, ala race cars set up. Have you done it? How is it done and which systeim did you use? The ultimate theft protector - almost.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: removable steering wheel?
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: May 05, 2011 01:59PM

David, it can be done but finding room for the adaptor and still keeping the column mounted switches will be more than a challange. You should take a look at Curtis Jacobsons's car. [www.britishv8.org] His column is about the cleanest I've seen but then it goes along with the very competition look of the car and the modified dash.
As far as quick release mechanisms, there are several on the market and each has it's positives and negatives. Check with any of the various racing vendors such as Pegasus Racing [www.pegasusautoracing.com] which have quite a selection.
There is one that is intriguing, the OMP unit that bolts on in place of a MOMO steering wheel. That would allow use of the MOMO adaptor which should retain all the column functions but it does move the wheel over 2" towards the driver which might be a bit uncomfortable.
CurtisJacobson-BH.jpg

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 05, 2011 02:05PM

Most racers toss their original steering column and instead mount a shaft on Heim joints. You can see lots of photos in the BritishRaceCar.com photo gallery... I installed a quick release in my car, on Ted Lathrop's urging, but it was easier in my case since my whole column was already a home-made one (I made twenty years ago) with a 1" x 1/8" wall DOM shaft riding in Garlock flanged Teflon-lined bushings which I simply pressed into the ends of a 1.25" diameter steel tube onto which mounting brackets were welded. The original MGB splined end was hack-sawed off and slid into the bottom end of the DOM tube and was welded. The main benefit of this home-made column is that it was convenient to attach electric parts to it: the turn signal switch, tach, and fuel ratio gauge.

The Allstar Performance (hex type) quick release worked fine for me, but it's a little loose by design - I got that tiny bit of annoying slop out with Permatex, which works better than expected - but (more expensive) splined quick releases have less lash to begin with. I remove the wheel to make it easier for other people to get into my drivers seat, but I'm so used to getting around the rollcage that I don't bother removing it for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2011 02:06PM by Moderator.

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: May 10, 2011 09:13AM

My removable set-up is similar to Curtis's except I used a column and release from Speedway Motors - about $100 for both. Turn signals were handled by adapting an early VW signal stalk (same as on used on Cobras). There was a little bit of machine work needed to get the VW switch ($65 from most on-line VW parts suppliers) to properly seat on the column but, other than that, they look like they go together. Admittedly mine is closer to race set up than a street column but it has all of the required essentials, is tons lighter than the one that came out and you can adjust the length to suit by removing the bearing in the end of the column, cutting down the housing and reinserting the bearing. Steering shaft is a "D" style (on the engine compartment end) so you simply trim it to length.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.