Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

RobertE
Robert Edgeworth

(77 posts)

02/19/2008 08:27AM

Main British Car:

Weight removal from rubber bumpers
Posted by: RobertE
Date: August 23, 2011 11:34AM

Anyone have any helpful advice on lowering the weight of rubber bumper cars? In general - or specifically regarding those bulky rubber bumpers on the MGB?

I read an article once(cant seem to find it) of someone drilling a lot of holes in the bumpers but it didn't seem to cut down *that* much weight.. I'd eventually like to mold something from FG or CF but for now I need a simpler solution.

Thanks

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Weight removal from rubber bumpers
Posted by: Moderator
Date: August 23, 2011 12:54PM

As I recall, the rubber bumpers added about 80# to MGB.

Instead of drilling a lot of holes (with "hole saw" bits, I guess) you might do better to fabricate a much simpler, lighter framework to hang the rubber on.

Fiberglass bumpers would probably be self-supporting, so even lighter. Photos of off-the-shelf fiberglass replacements can be found in Tony Andrew's How-It-Was-Done article. Tony's were made by Morspeed Performance. One of the first vendor sponsors of this website, Morspeed closed down "temporarily" and I'm not sure if they've ever really re-started production. Perhaps Tony will weigh in here on how well they worked out for him.

Of course you could shave the bumpers altogether. Dave Craddock at Perform Resources makes excellent fiberglass MGB spoilers and valances if you decide go that way.

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

12/04/2009 07:42AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: tr8todd
Date: September 08, 2011 06:27PM

Go to the junk yard and try to find an aluminum framed bumper that you can modify to work under your rubber skin. I have used Rover SD1 bumpers under the TR8 skins before and just recently picked up a set of aluminum bumpers from a 1980 BMW 320i that look like they will work with minimal mods. I slipped them onto the frame horns on a bumperless TR7 coupe and the looked like they were made for the car. Same angled pointy nose and all. Just need to trim a little on the ends, weld in some mounts, and attach the rubber. Should save 40 pounds each end easy. My preferred method is fiberglass bumpers, but they tend to crack after a while unless you box them in and fill with foam, and they offer no crash protection.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: September 09, 2011 08:02AM

That's a great suggestion Todd.

Now if someone can just identify a suitable donor for the late MGB...

JB

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

12/04/2009 07:42AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: tr8todd
Date: September 09, 2011 08:52AM

Start with an older BMW. If you can find an e21 or e30, I'd bet it would work. You will have to do a little cutting and test fitting on anything you find. I don't have any MGB rubber bumpers laying around, or I'd check the fit of the e21 bumper. My MGB was a chrome bumper that now has a fiberglass Sebring kit.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4513 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: September 12, 2011 05:59PM

I have removed 9 lbs. from my front bumper frame with a plasma cutter. I plan to remove it again & whittle it down more. An aluminum support frame would be ideal.

The front rubber bumper "skin" itself weighs 11 lbs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.