Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Med72
Art Medrano
Austin, Tx
(52 posts)

01/31/2012 09:25PM

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph TR6 GM 350

Can't get the front windshield off
Posted by: Med72
Date: February 12, 2012 06:47PM

I am removing body parts so I can take the car down to the metal. I am trying to remove the front windshield but it wont give.

The car is a Triumph TR6. I have removed the nut that hold the pin bolt in but it still wont budge out of the sleeve. Any ideas
TR6-Windshield pin.jpg
TR6.jpg

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Re: Can't get the front windshield off
Posted by: BWA
Date: February 12, 2012 08:38PM

When I dismantled mine I squirted lots of WD40 under the rubber seal where the posts are and let it sit for a few days. Then every so often I would get a block of hardwood and put the block on the threaded shaft and give the end of the block a few good wacks with a hammer and apply more WD40. Then I got my friend to stand in the car and grab both ends of the windshield near the base and pull upwards while I used the hammer and block of wood underneath on the shafts. Eventually the whole thing worked loose and it lifted out.

Cheers
Byron

bsa_m21
Martin Rothman
Vancouver, Canada
(216 posts)

01/06/2009 11:41AM

Main British Car:
1980 TR7V8 Rover 3.9L

authors avatar
Posted by: bsa_m21
Date: February 12, 2012 08:43PM

There is an amazing penetrating oil called "Kroil" that will loosen almost any rust bound parts I've ever tried it on. Should be available in Texas. [www.kanolabs.com]

Martin

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: February 13, 2012 10:55PM

When I removed my windshield, kind of did the same as Byron did, but installed a nut without the nylon in it (not an aircraft nut) on the threaded shaft. The nut was installed flush to the end of threads to protect the threads from crushing from the blows of a leaded head hammer (soft), going from one side to the other. Give it a few hard wacks with a lead hammer (wood didn't work for me). I was able to get the whole windshield loose then took off the nuts, and stood inside the body tub worked from side to side until completely out. Then once off used a thread chaser to make sure the threads were OK. What helped the most was spraying WD-40 on the shaft above the theaded end, where the shaft goes through the bracket in two places. Luck to you, it will come off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.