Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Med72
Art Medrano
Austin, Tx
(52 posts)

01/31/2012 09:25PM

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph TR6 GM 350

Removing door windows and all the mechanisms
Posted by: Med72
Date: March 19, 2012 07:07PM

I am replacing a rusted door on my TR6. I am going to utilize the existing window glass, door locks and window mechanisms. I am trying to figure out how to remove the actual glass from the mechanism without breaking it. I also want to eventually remove the window mechanism. Any tips??????

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Removing door windows and all the mechanisms
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: March 20, 2012 08:41AM

You need not remove the glass from the lower channel that it is pressed into, that can stay affixed to the glass and it will still come out of ther door. Removing the lift mechanism from the door panel and you should then be able to slide the roller out of the window channel and remove the mechanism from the door. Then loosen the glass guides and lower the glass into the door cavity completely, the once you have access to the felt and rubber seal strips on the top edge of the door you can remove those but gently driving the clips that affix them down into the door. With the seal strips out of the way you then should be able to lift the glass up and out through the top opening without problem. Once the glass is ouit of the way access to the door handle and locks and vent window will be much easier. I suggest taking photos of the process as you go along and then refer to those as you reassemble the new door so you're sure you do everything in the correct order, not forget like I did after several months and have to try to get the glass in several times with a few choice phrases I learned in the Navy thrown in.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: March 20, 2012 01:59PM

Be aware too that sometimes getting the right fastener in the right spot is very important if the window is to work smoothly.

Jim

Med72
Art Medrano
Austin, Tx
(52 posts)

01/31/2012 09:25PM

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph TR6 GM 350

Posted by: Med72
Date: March 21, 2012 04:42PM

Thanks Bill and Jim. I was wondering if I should remove the window first then the door lock.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.