Bodywork, Paint, Interior, Trim, & Wiring

discussions about bodywork, paint, interiors, trim, audio, electrical components, wiring, etc.

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Med72
Art Medrano
Austin, Tx
(52 posts)

01/31/2012 09:25PM

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph TR6 GM 350

Fiber Glass or steel
Posted by: Med72
Date: April 25, 2012 11:29PM

I am in the process of breaking down my TR6 to see what I am in for. One area that I can not salvage are the two front fenders. Both fenders are contaminated with rust. I went to Moss and TRF and checked their inventory. Both are wanted anywhere from $709 to $549 for each side. In an effort to keep cost down I was looking into fiber glass fenders from SportsClassics. I can get both sides for around $350. I have been looking for used fenders but the prices along with the shipping cost has me considering alternatives.

I am not sure if I am overthinking this but how will I mate the fiber glass with the inner fenders and wheel wells?

Has anyone actuall y replaced the steel wiht glass? Please offer any opinions or advice

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Fiber Glass or steel
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: April 26, 2012 08:43AM

Art, there are problems just as you state in combining fiberglass parts with steel, especially when they are not bolted together, but originally welded. In most cases rust isn't an overwhelming problem. The original units can be soda blasted and treated with a rust preventive chemical solution then patch panels welded in place of the really bad secdions. Guys have been doing this stuff for years on old British cars. Check around for used parts as well, they are out there and often in very good condition, but of course the better the condition the higher the price. Try posting on the trader secton here and on other websites dealing with Triumphs, I'm sure you'll find some. I have a friend here in KC who is always buying and selling British cars and also parting the ones out that are beyond saving, he usually has a lot of TR6 parts around, Check out the KC Craigslilst for Triumph parts and I'm sure you'll see one of his ads.
Our resident expert in glass parts is Dave Craddock of Preform Resources, [preformresources.com] he can tell you what method would work best to join the glass parts to the steel but beware that there will be a lot more finishing work before paint with the glass parts to get them really straight and they may tend to ripple after they are painted as well. Nature of the beast, especially when using rather thin race type parts.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: Fiber Glass or steel, both ?
Posted by: roverman
Date: April 26, 2012 11:49AM

Art, This has recently been covered in the MGB section, here. I just glassed Huffaker f-glass outer rear quarter panels to top 3" of oem steel quarters. Grind steel to bare and faily rough, inside and out.Keep 100% clean and bond inside/out, with quality resin and MATT. Good Luck, roverman.

tr6turbo
Dale Knapke
Sidney, Ohio
(169 posts)

08/24/2008 09:44PM

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph TR6 Ford 2300, 4 Cyl Turbo

Re: Fiber Glass or steel, both ?
Posted by: tr6turbo
Date: April 26, 2012 05:17PM

Art, The TR6 fender is a complete bolt in replacement. The inner fender is not welded to the outer. I am not sure how well fiberglass will work for you.

Dale

Preform Resources
Dave Craddock
Redford,Michigan
(359 posts)

12/20/2008 05:46PM

Main British Car:
72 MGB V6 3.4

Re: Fiber Glass or steel
Posted by: Preform Resources
Date: April 26, 2012 06:00PM

Art, if the frp parts are of good quality they should fit on like steel fenders, having said that ,if whomever did the original
model work and allowed for shrinkage and part thickness(stackup) they should bolt on relatively easy, but as Bill mentioned if they are race parts they might be a little thin, maybe they could add a some more glass in the areas where stone pecking etc. would mostly affect them(top of the wheel arches for instance) by the way $350. for a pair of fenders is not a lot of $ so they may or may not be a bargain, ask a lot of questions!
Dave Craddock

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.